Rome- Burke's demotion validates victims
For immediate release Friday, October 17, 2014
The most controversial Vatican prelate, Cardinal Raymond Burke, confirmed publicly for the first time the rumors that he had been told Francis intended to demote him.
In an interview with BuzzFeed News, Burke said “I very much have enjoyed and have been happy to give this service, so it is a disappointment to leave it.” Burke said, however, that he hadn’t yet received a formal notice of transfer.
When this officially happens, it will be a validation for hundreds of clergy sex abuse victims - in Wisconsin, Missouri and elsewhere - who have suffered because Burke acted so recklessly, callously and deceitfully in pedophile priest cases.
Burke has been an outspoken radical conservative taking very controversial positions, like refusing to attend a fund raiser for a children’s hospital because of the beliefs of one performer.
In some cases, Francis moves decisively, demoting the "Bishop of Bling," a controversial South American prelate, and now, a Cardinal whose views contradict his own. But when it comes to the rape of children, he has belatedly and partially set up a committee and made vague pledges.
The message is clear: following “corporate policy” is important but endangering children is less so.
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 25 years and have more than 20,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)