SNAP News

Get the latest updates from SNAP Network.

Toledo priest credibly accused of sexual abuse; diocese removes his name from building

THE BLADE/JEREMY WADSWORTH SARAH READDEAN The Blade   Nov 6, 2024 The Catholic Diocese of Toledo has announced the credible allegation of sexual abuse of a minor against deceased priest Msgr. Michael J. Doyle and has placed him on its clergy status report.

Charges dropped vs. 2 Christian boarding school staffers; SNAP responds

For immediate release: Wednesday, October 30, 2024 Couple accused of abuse walks free Husband & wife headed Christian boarding school Charges dropped but victims believe more may be filed They were arrested six months ago after kids ran away Several civil lawsuits against them have also been filed A Missouri couple who was arrested last spring have been freed from jail, but abuse victims hope other charges will soon be filed against them. Larry and Carmen Musgrave, owners of Lighthouse Christian Academy in Piedmont, Missouri, had been charged with first-degree kidnapping after an ex-student told authorities she was "held against her will."  The school was run by ABM Ministries. In numerous civil lawsuits, the Musgraves – and other Lighthouse staffers – were accused of a range of physical, sexual and emotional abuse. Most of those cases are pending. "While I am disappointed with the court’s ruling in regards to the charges in which I was the victim, I will always be grateful for the closure this process has brought me personally. Being able to talk about my experience and feel heard was what I needed. Knowing that I did everything I knew how to do to prevent this from happening again is enough for me," said Julianna Davis, who now lives in Alabama. "I hope even though the outcome of these specific charges isn’t what we wanted, I hope my story gives hope to anyone else affected by the troubled teen industry. Hopefully the changes that will eventually come from this will be broad and long-lasting. Thank you specifically to Sgt. Carson and Sheriff Finch for listening and doing everything in their power to help us as well." "I’m deeply disturbed by the final ruling. It’s frustrating to see these two walk away without facing the consequences they deserve," said Deborah Brownell who lives in Florida. "Until we hold people like this accountable, the cycle of abuse will continue. Our legal system should be protecting the vulnerable—not letting those responsible walk free." "Hearing the news that the charges have been dropped against the Musgraves set me in a bit of a spiral. It’s devastating that two individuals who have caused so much pain, neglect, abuse and who have brought so much evil into the lives of myself and my friends are able to walk free from this," said Michael McCarthy who now lives in Washington state. "While I can’t say I’ve been super confident in our justice system, I was hopeful that this would allow some of us to heal. I am truly devastated. There should not be a statute of limitations on child abuse and kidnapping." "It’s a devastating concept that people who have caused so much damage can walk away free of consequences," said Aralysa Baker, who now lives in Oklahoma. "We were told as students that no one was going to help us, that no one cared and that no one would believe us. It honestly hurts that the justice system has once again proved this to be true. I can only hope that justice will eventually prevail." "It's sickening that charges have been dropped against the Musgraves, even if it's just temporary. Scores of kids have suffered immeasurably at the school they ran and this news will only compound the deep pain so many still feel," said David Clohessy of SNAP. "We desperately hope that the prosecutor will work hard and move quickly to prosecute these egregious wrongdoers on more charges, so they can be convicted and kept away from vulnerable children in the future." Another former staff member, Julio Sandoval, worked at both Lighthouse and at Agape Boarding School in Stockton. In August of 2022, he was arrested on federal charges of violating a protective order issued at the request of a student. Sandoval was accused of taking the student against his will and transporting him from California to Missouri in 2021. Sandoval was working as dean of students at Agape at the time. That case is pending. His Julio Sandoval's son, Caleb Sandoval, was recently sentenced to five years’ probation after pleading guilty to Abuse Or Neglect Of A Child at Lighthouse. (State v. Caleb Sandoval, Case #24WY-CR00156-01) CONTACT:  David Clohessy, SNAP Missouri ([email protected], 314-566-9790), Melanie Sakoda, SNAP Survivor Support Director ([email protected], 925-708-6175), Shaun Dougherty, SNAP Interim Executive Director ([email protected], 814-341-8386) (SNAP, the Survivors Network, has been providing support for victims of sexual abuse in institutional settings for more than 35 years. We have more than 25,000 survivors and supporters in our network. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

Christian boarding school staffer is charged; another pleads guilty

For immediate release: Tuesday, October 29, 2024 Former Christian boarding school principal faces charges And an ex-teacher pleads guilty to abuse or neglect of a child Victims applaud both developments & the closing of a similar facility A former principal faces new charges of child sexual abuse and a former teacher has pleaded guilty to child abuse and neglect. Both men worked at Lighthouse Christian Academy in Piedmont. The Academy, which is now closed, was in Wayne County, two hours southwest of St. Louis. Victims are applauding both developments along with news that yet another similar facility in rural Missouri has apparently closed. Lighthouse was one of several Christian boarding schools in the state where staffers have been charged in criminal courts and sued in civil courts, or been the subject of media reporting about the physical, emotional and sexual abuse of children.  Craig Wesley Smith Jr., who was Lighthouse Christian Academy’s principal, faces felony charges of forcible rape, forcible sodomy, sexual contact with a student, abuse or neglect of a child, and harassment, according to attorney Rebecca Randles of Randles, Mata & Brown, L.L.C. in Kansas City (816-931-9901). Last week, a judge set his arraignment for October 31, 2024. Caleb Sandoval, who taught at the same school, has been sentenced to five years’ probation after pleading guilty to Abuse Or Neglect Of A Child. (State v. Caleb Sandoval, Case #24WY-CR00156-01) Neither development has been covered by news media in Missouri. The victims "feel encouraged" by the developments. "Neither of these men should have ever had jobs around kids," said Aralysa Baker, who was a student at Lighthouse Academy from 2005 to 2007. "Each of them hurt several kids that we know of, and were so blatant in their behavior that other adults must have known of their criminal acts." "We praise the brave survivors who are cooperating with law enforcement to help get these offenders locked up and away from children," said David Clohessy of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests. Victims are also relieved to learn that Stone of Hope Boarding School in southwest Missouri has apparently closed, according to reports from neighbors and the disappearance of the school's website. It operated on the grounds of the former Agape School, and shared employees, land, students, and the same general business concept with the shuttered Agape School. CONTACT:  David Clohessy, SNAP Missouri ([email protected], 314-566-9790), Melanie Sakoda, SNAP Survivor Support Director ([email protected], 925-708-6175), Shaun Dougherty, SNAP Interim Executive Director ([email protected], 814-341-8386) (SNAP, the Survivors Network, has been providing support for victims of sexual abuse in institutional settings for more than 35 years. We have more than 25,000 survivors and supporters in our network. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

***MEDIA RELEASE*** Abuse Survivors In Faith-based Care Publish Open Letter to New Zealand Prime Minister

For immediate release Nationwide, New Zealand25 October 2024 OPEN LETTER To the New Zealand Prime Minister from the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) in Aotearoa New Zealand regarding the National Apology 25 October 2024 Rt Hon Christopher LuxonPrime Minister of New Zealand Parliament OfficeWellington 6160NEW ZEALAND Dear Hon. Christopher Luxon, Tēnā Koe!We write to you as the New Zealand chapter of the world’s largest support group for women and men abused by religious and institutional authorities.   The New Zealand Abuse in Care Royal Commission of Inquiry published its final report, Whanaketia, in July this year. That report disclosed the enormous scale of abuse of citizens across our nation in state and faith-based care.    In particular, it revealed the predominance of abuse in New Zealand’s Catholic Church, an institution found by the Commission responsible for over twice as many cases of abuse as any other faith-based institution. (Whanaketia, 5:1129)   As you prepare for our Government’s national apology to survivors and their whānau on 12 Novermber 2024, we request that your apology recognises that the abuse of citizens in religious settings and the covering up of this abuse is not just a church matter but a matter for the Government which has responsibility in national and international law for the protection of the health and well-being of its citizens.   We also request that your apology recognises the failure of successive governments to introduce the civil legislation needed to support citizens who are survivors of abuse and to prevent the ongoing abuse of citizens within religious institutions.   Above all, we request that your apology includes a commitment to act swiftly and with determination to establish a concrete programme of legislative reform to protect New Zealand citizens. Therefore, in your apology, we call on you to: Censure church leaders, especially those of New Zealand’s Catholic Church, for failure to prevent the widespread sexual abuse of citizens as found by the Abuse in Care Inquiry. Review New Zealand’s diplomatic ties with The Holy See. No religious institution should be entitled to expect to hold a privileged position sanctioned by our nation’s legislation and diplomatic arrangements. Repeal the Roman Catholic Bishops Empowering Act 1997 which provides unreasonable financial, juridical, and administrative power to unaccountable church leaders. Introduce mandatory reporting of sexual abuse including mandatory reporting by ministers of religion; and introduce new offences into our nation’s Crimes Act 1961, namely: 1) concealing child abuse; and 2) failing to report child abuse. Ensure that any involvement by officials of religious institutions in dealing with sexual abuse complaints is transparent; and that the processes and records of these dealings can be accessed by the judicial system with the consent of survivors. Criminalise concerted efforts by persons in authority through joint planning to hide cases of sexual abuse, foil investigations into sexual abuse complaints, incentivise victims to remain silent, or prevent information relating to a sexual assault from becoming public such as by use of nondisclosure agreements or confidentiality clauses. Ensure the legal system is recognised as the most appropriate forum in which to deal with church leaders perpetrating abuse and covering up abuse. Support survivors in accessing the legal system, and provide the financial and legal support they need to pursue claims of sexual abuse against religious authorities, their agencies, and institutions. Remove fiscal benefits, charitable status, and taxation concessions from religious institutions that fail to adequately support survivors, or fail to actively prevent abuse, including those who fail to remove abusers. Stop taxpayers paying through our ACC for the consequences of sexual abuses within religious institutions, and ensure religious authorities accept responsibility for ongoing payments and care of survivors. Ensure the accountability of bishops and other senior leaders of religious institutions by establishing in law that the relationship between senior religious leaders and their ministers of religion is an employment relationship.   In short, Mr. Luxon, given the findings of the Abuse in Care Inquiry, it is the appointed time for our Government to step up and act resolutely to protect our children and vulnerable people from predatory religious ministers, and other religious persons, and those who shield them.    Sir, if our Government will not act to do this, then it would be difficult for us to accept your apology. As you know, a sincere apology requires restitution for the harm done and assurances that it will not happen again.   Therefore, we ask you to ensure the sincerity of your apology by following up swiftly with making the changes needed to heal and protect our citizens through concrete measures as stated above.   Thank you. Ngā mihi,   Sincerely / Nāhaku noa,   SNAP Aotearoa     Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) in Aotearoa New Zealand P.O. Box 40 812, Upper Hutt 5140, NEW ZEALAND * [email protected]   ( +64 (0)22 3440496 https://www.snapnetwork.org/     END For any queries about this media statement, please contact SNAP Aotearoa New Zealand [email protected] Thank you.

SNAP Press Event in Houma on Thursday

Victims charge Houma Catholic church is ‘reckless’ on abuse Group says diocese ‘is still hiding at least 4 local perpetrators’ Other dioceses post their names & say the allegations are ‘credible’ SNAP: “But Houma officials refuse, leaving kids at risk & victims wounded” Support group also alerts child victims to an unusual new legal opportunity New law means that anyone molested at any time by anyone can now sue ‘By coming forward, the wounded can protect the vulnerable,’ survivors say WHAT Holding signs and childhood photos at a sidewalk news conference, clergy sex abuse victims will --write on a sidewalk the names of four publicly accused clerics who are or were in the Houma-Thibodaux diocese but are largely ‘under the radar’ and are still being hidden by local church officials, and ---urge anyone “with information or suspicions about known or possible abusers” to call police, not church staff, contact SNAP and “protect others and start healing.” They will also urge Catholics to join with them in spreading awareness of an “unusual and ground-breaking child safety law” that “enables virtually any child sex abuse victim to sue, no matter how long ago the crime happened, so that the truth will be known about every bishop, priest, brother, nun, seminarian, or layperson who hurt kids.” WHEN Thursday, Oct. 10 at 11:15 a.m. WHERE On the sidewalk outside the Cathedral of St. Francis, 500 Goode St. in Houma (985-876-6904) WHO Two child sex abuse victims who belong to a support group called SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAPnetwork.org), including a Missouri man who for 30 years was the organization’s national director

SNAP Press Event in Baton Rouge on Wednesday

Abuse victims blast Baton Rouge bishop He’s hiding at least three ‘credibly accused’ abusive priests Other church officials say allegations against the men are ‘credible’ SNAP: “If church officials are hiding them, what else might they be hiding?” Support group also alerts child victims to unusual new legal opportunity New law means that anyone molested at any time by anyone can now sue ‘By coming forward, the wounded can protect the vulnerable,’ victims say WHAT Using sidewalk chalk, while holding signs and childhood photos, clergy sex abuse victims will write on a sidewalk the names of three publicly accused child molesting clerics who are NOT on the Baton Rouge Catholic bishop’s ‘credibly accused’ list and thus remain largely ‘under the radar.’ They will also urge  ---Catholics and others to “spread the word” about an unusual new Louisiana law that will make kids safer by enabling victims of childhood sexual abuse to sue those who committed or concealed the crimes - no matter how long ago they were violated, and ---those with information or suspicions about ANY other known or possible perpetrators to a) call police, not church staff, and b) contact SNAP. WHEN Wednesday, Oct. 9, at 2 PM WHERE On the sidewalk outside St. Joseph Cathedral, 401 Main Street (corner of 4th) in Baton Rouge WHO Two child sex abuse victims who belong to a support group called SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAPnetwork.org), including a Missouri man who for 30 years was the organization’s national director

SNAP Press Event in Lafayette on Wednesday

New perpetrator priest lawsuit is filed Victims also blast local bishop over ‘continued secrecy’ SNAP: He’s hiding at least 3 ‘credibly accused’ abusive priests They’re still alive, so they may still be a threat to kids, group says Other church officials say charges against them are substantiated But their names are NOT on the official Lafayette diocese list Victims also urge greater awareness of new state child molestation law WHAT Holding signs and childhood photos at a sidewalk news conference, abuse victims will announce and discuss a new child sexual abuse and cover up lawsuit against ‘the most notorious child molesting’ cleric in Louisiana history. Using chalk, they will also write on a sidewalk the names of several publicly accused pedophile priests who have spent time in the Lafayette area but are NOT on the Lafayette bishop’s ‘credibly accused’ list. And they will also “urge anyone who may have seen, suspected or suffered ANY other known or possible abuse to a) call police, not church staff, and b) contact SNAP. WHEN Wednesday, Oct. 9 at 11:00 a.m. (NOTE: The group will hold a similar event in Baton Rouge later the same day, Wednesday, October 9 at 2 p.m.) WHERE On the sidewalk outside the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, the address for the Cathedral is 914 St. John Street, Lafayette, LA, press conference will be at 515 Cathedral. Call if you can't locate them: David, 314-566-9790 (Cathedral phone: 337-232-1322) WHO Two child sexual abuse victims who belong to a support group called SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAPnetwork.org), including a Missouri man who for 30 years was the organization’s national director

Take Action and Stop Child Sexual Abuse

If you see child sexual abuse, or have a reasonable suspicion of sexual abuse or your child has been sexually abused, call 911 or your local police immediately. 

If you suspect abuse, call the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-Child or visit the Child Help Hotline. Trained crisis operators staff the lines 24/7 to answer your questions. If necessary, they will show you how to report in your local area.

Child pornography is a federal crime. If you see or suspect images that may be child pornography, report to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children CyberTip Line

 

Donate Today

Your donation today ensures SNAP will be there for those who need us tomorrow.

Choose Amount:

As Featured In

SNAP Network is a GuideStar Gold Participant