NY--Second abuse case filed vs. priest still on the job
For immediate release: Tuesday, April 26, 2016
Long Island’s Catholic bishop must suspend a priest who now faces two pending child sex abuse lawsuits. Or other church officials must discipline and denounce him for his recklessness.
Today, a second civil case has been filed charging that Fr. Gregory Yacyshyn molested a second child a few years ago.
We know of just one other priest – Fr. Alex Anderson of St. Louis - who is still in a parish despite multiple accusers. (Three men say he molested them but only one has sued, however.)
However, we have learned recently that two US priests who are convicted sex offenders are being put back on the job – Fr. Joseph Jeyapaul and Fr. Jose Alexis Davila.
Bishop Murphy was one of disgraced Boston Cardinal Bernard Law’s top deputies. He’s acting just like his mentor. Again, for the safety of kids, at a bare minimum, Murphy should suspend Fr. Greg and aggressively seek out others he may have hurt.
Are false allegations against priests possible? Sure. Are both of these accusers wrong? Nope.
But we urge parishioners to check out independent sources, like BishopAccountability.org, which finds that "Fewer than 2 percent of sexual abuse allegations against the Catholic church appear to be false" and the dean of a Catholic law school who said that he had defended Catholic dioceses against more than 500 sexual-abuse lawsuits in more than 500 cases and had concluded that 'fewer than 10' of those cases were based on false accusations."
A 2004 report commissioned by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and written by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice which analyzed 5,681 diocesan investigations of abuse allegations in 1950-2002 and concluded that 1.5% were deemed false.
Even Catholic officials admit this. The first head of the Office for Child and Youth Protection of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has summarized the findings on false allegations: "False reporting of sexual abuse by children is very rare."
We applaud the brave youngsters who are exposing a dangerous priest and his complicit colleagues. We hope others who saw, suspected or suffered clergy sex crimes or cove ups on Long Island will step forward and call independent sources of help, like police, prosecutors, therapists or support groups like ours.
No matter what lawmakers or church officials do or don’t do, we urge every single person who saw, suspected or suffered child sex crimes and cover ups in Catholic churches or institutions to protect kids by calling police, get help by calling therapists, expose wrongdoers by calling law enforcement, get justice by calling attorneys, and be comforted by calling support groups like ours. This is how kids will be safer, adults will recover, criminals will be prosecuted, cover ups will be deterred and the truth will surface.
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. SNAP was founded in 1988 and has more than 20,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
Lawsuit says Catholic priest sexually abused Long Island man
Diocese: First sex abuse unfounded, will address claims ‘vigorously’ in court
The Rev. Gregory Yacyshyn remains active in ministry, diocese says
By Bart Jones email@example.com, April 26, 2016 2:35 PM
A Long Island man said Tuesday he was sexually abused as a boy by a Roman Catholic priest — the second case brought against the priest since last year.
The Diocese of Rockville Centre, which has not removed the Rev. Gregory Yacyshyn from active ministry, said it “intends to address the claims vigorously in a court of law.”
The first case last year was filed by a 20-year-old woman, and is still . . .