Richmond Catholic Diocese adds six priests to list of accused sexual abusers

The Catholic Diocese of Richmond on Thursday added six priests to a list of clergy accused of sexual abuse against a minor, bringing the total named to 49.

The additions come four months after Bishop Barry Knestout publicly named 43 priests he determined had credible accusations made against them. The move came in response to public outcry after a Pennsylvania grand jury report released last August found that at least 1,000 children were sexually abused by at least 300 Catholic clergy in the state.

“Back in February, when we published a list of clergy against whom there are credible and substantiated claims of child sexual abuse, we acknowledged the list would be updated,” Knestout said in a news release. “As we continue to engage with survivors of abuse and learn more about the history of our diocese, we continue our commitment to transparency. It is my sincere hope that the additions of these individuals will help provide healing for anyone who suffered at their hands.”

The six men named are Stanley F. Banaszek, Anthony M. Canu, Patrick J. Cassidy, Leonardo G. Mateo, Thomas D. Sykes and Vincent The Quang Nguyen. Five of the men have died, one of them this year. The diocese does not know where Nguyen is.

Five of them worked for religious orders and one, Cassidy, was a diocesan priest who had been assigned to nine churches throughout Virginia, including St. Paul in Richmond.

In February, the diocese had originally named 42 priests before adding one more name.

Becky Ianni, a leader of Virginia’s chapter of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, a group that advocates for abuse victims, said Thursday that she was pleased that the diocese is publicizing the names of additional accused abusers, but doesn’t think that the move go...

Read the rest of the story here.


Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.
Secured Via NationBuilder

SNAP Network is a GuideStar Silver Participant