SNAP Mission Statement
Our most powerful tool is the light of truth.
Through our actions, we bring healing, prevention and justice.
SNAP is an independent, confidential network of survivors of religious sexual abuse and their supporters who work to:
Protect the vulnerable:
We expose predators and those who shield them. We build policies and practices within secular and religious organizations that protect children now and in the future.
Heal the wounded:
We share our stories and empower others to confront the truth. Together, we find healthy mechanisms for healing.
Prevent the abuse:
We educate ourselves and our communities about the effects of abuse. We speak in a unified voice to bring about change by exposing the malignant actions of abusive religious ministers and the church officials who shield them.
In order to achieve this mission, SNAP will:
- Build a continually expanding world-wide network of chapters united under the SNAP banner and website.
- Recruit and train a flourishing team of staff members, volunteers, leaders and activists who will form an insurmountable force for recovery and change
- Expose predators across the globe and ensure that they are never placed in positions where they can abuse again
- Demand and achieve legal justice, working with others to ensure criminal and civil success in all cases of religious abuse
- Change laws or legal practices that obstruct justice or protect predators
- Hold church institutions answerable for enabling abuse and shielding predators