Global Groups Hold Press Conference to Demand the Truth, Pope Must Order Release of Vatican’s Files on Former Cardinal
MEDIA ADVISORY MEDIA ADVISORY MEDIA ADVISORY
Survivors Denounce Archbishop Viganò’s Statements Conflating Homosexuality and Sexual Violence by Clergy
- Peter Isley, founding member and spokesperson for Ending Clergy Abuse (ECA USA), survivor of childhood sexual assault by a priest;
- Becky Ianni, member of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) since 2006 and D.C. area leader of SNAP since 2007, survivor of sexual abuse by a priest; and
- Pamela Spees, senior staff attorney, Center for Constitutional Rights, and lead counsel to Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP)
What: Survivors and human rights advocates will call for Pope Francis to release the Vatican’s entire dossier on former cardinal Theodore McCarrick, and denounce Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò’s statements conflating homosexuality and sexual violence by clergy in his recent letter calling for Pope Francis’s resignation over his knowledge of McCarrick’s sexual offenses.
Where: Apostolic Nunciature in the United States of America, 3339 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20008
When: Thursday, August 30, 2018, 11:30 a.m.
50 State AG Call for Grand Jury
Any investigation must be:
- independent of and separate from the church
- must have subpoena powers and ability to compel testimony under oath
Anything short of these criteria is a sham and whitewash.
In addition, write letters to the editor, make phone calls to politicians as they can apply pressure to keep them responsive to our demand. We need to make efforts to ensure that they follow up on what the state is doing to investigate these crimes.
Note to Letter Writers
Use your own words and style of writing. Cut and paste from the templates as you wish. Include your experiences, whether as a survivor or as a member of the community. And relate your letter to the state you were abused in or state now living in.