This Act is now closed. Thank you to all who completed Act 19.
What: On Wednesday, Pope Francis approved a Vatican tribunal to judge bishops accused of covering up or failing to prevent sexual abuse of minors. This tribunal will be created inside the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith "to judge bishops with regard to crimes of the abuse of office when connected to the abuse of minors." We must not be satisfied with this tribunal's mere existence, but demand a reform of secular abuse laws so that clerics who hurt kids and hid predators will be criminally charged.
Why: Throughout this decades-long crisis, church panels, procedures, protocols and promises have been plentiful, and yet irrelevant. The Vatican has never punished or terminated a bishop for protecting abusive priests, even though canon law already offers sanctions for negligent bishops. As long as clerics are in charge of dealing with other clerics who commit and conceal child sex crimes, little will change.
How to complete Act 19: Comment on the article - Pope creates tribunal for bishops in sex abuse cases
- Emphasize that church officials have convened panels and advisory boards to judge alleged abusers with no effect, and that no evidence suggests that this tribunal will fare better in holding bishops accountable.
- State that the Vatican has yet to terminate or punish a bishop for protecting abusive priests.
- Stress that, until this tribunal proves effective, the Vatican must prove its commitment to protecting minors by reporting alleged bishops to the police and cooperating with criminal investigations.
Or you can copy and paste the statement of support below:
The Vatican has organized panels and advisory boards to judge alleged abusers before with little effect, and no evidence suggests that this tribunal will prevent abuse any better. The Vatican has never terminated or punished a bishop for protecting abusive priests. Until this tribunal proves effective, the Vatican must prove its commitment to protecting minors by reporting alleged bishops to the police and cooperating with criminal investigations.
When: Please take action by next Thursday, June 18.
Wait - you're not finished yet! Once you've completed the action, in order to get credit for this Act, you must do two things:
1) Check the box below that says "I Completed Act 19."
2) Show the Team what you've done! Copy and paste your comment into the blue section below marked COMMENTS.
And let us know if you have questions - we're here to help! Email us at email@example.com with questions or concerns.
Remember – your voice counts! When we expose the lies, we stand up for victims and take power away from the abusers. When we all speak out together, we create a movement that the world cannot ignore.
So let’s SNAP into action!
SNAP Action Team