Victims blast Joliet bishop on abuse
Victims blast Joliet bishop on abuse
Two more accused clerics missing from his list, group says
They’re also not in recent “Anderson Report” on abuse in Illinois
SNAP urges the inclusion of those who prey on ‘vulnerable adults’
It begs those who “saw, suspected or suffered abuse” to speak up
Holding signs and childhood photos at a sidewalk news conference, two clergy sex abuse victims will disclose the names of and information about two publicly accused Joliet area predator priests who allegedly assaulted others but are not on
--the official Joliet diocese list of ‘’credibly accused’ clerics, nor in
--the recently-issued “Anderson Report” on clergy abuse in Illinois.
They will also prod northern Illinois Catholic officials to
--add these two and other names to their list of “credibly accused” priests,
--expand their lists to include clerics who hurt ‘vulnerable adults,’ and
--blast them for their secrecy about abuse and cover ups.
They’ll also urge those who “saw suspected or suffered” abuse to “call police and get help.”
Monday, April 8 at 1:00 p.m.
On the sidewalk outside the Joliet Catholic diocese HQ/chancery office, 16555 Weber Rd, (corner of Division St.) in Crest Hill, IL
Three abuse victims, including a Chicago man who is the Chicago leader of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests and a St. Louisman who is the organization's former long time executive director
1--Last year, under pressure from then-IL attorney general Lisa Madigan, the Rockford Catholic diocese updates its list of "credibly accused" priests.
But neither the diocesan list nor the recently-issued “Anderson Report” on clergy sex abuse in Illinois mention, the names of two other Joliet area clerics who are publicly accused of abuse and who spent time in northern Illinois.
--Bishop Daniel Leo Ryan, the former head of the Springfield IL diocese. He was chancellor and auxiliary bishop of the Joliet diocese in the 1970s-1980s. Last November, Ryan was named on the Springfield diocesan list of “substantiated cases of sexual abuse of a minor by clergy.”https://promise.dio.org/
He’s been accused of molesting a child in 1984. In 2002, he was reportedly suspended from all public ministry but in the 2000s, “he had filled in for vacationing priests and doing confirmations in central Illinois and in the Joliet Diocese,” according to the State Journal Register. Ryan had also been accused of patronizing prostitutes. He held 12 positions in the Joliet area and died in 2015.
--Fr. Richard E. Jacklin, who was pastor of Sacred Heart parish in Goodrich. In 2017, he was arrested and charged with sexual assaulting a 39-year-old paralyzed man with an intellectual disability who lived at Shapiro Developmental Center in Kankakee. A nurse reportedly walked in on Fr. Jacklin as he was performing a sex act on the resident.
Last month, the pope adopted a new, purportedly ‘model’ abuse policy for the Vatican. It includes ‘vulnerable adults,’ a group largely ignored by US bishops.
A third predator priest SNAP especially wants added to the Joliet diocese’s ‘accused’ list is Fr. James M. Janssen. He IS mentioned in “The “Anderson Report.”
He is one of Iowa’s most prolific predators. He’s accused of sexually assaulting 36 kids over three decades often interacting with other abusers and using pornography. In 2014, his personnel files were released and showed that he also reportedly abused at least one person while working inHinsdale, IL, part of Joliet diocese.
Fr. Janssen was put on leave in 1990, retired from active ministry in 1991, sued in 2003, laicized in 2004, found guilty of ‘contempt of court’ and perjury in 2008 and died in 2015.
Joliet Bishop Daniel Conlon (815 221 6100) should “aggressively seek out others who may have seen, suspected or suffered” crimes by these clerics,” share that information with law enforcement and offer help to the wounded,” SNAP says.
2--Madigan also disclosed that, as of November, some 500 accused predator priests are still hidden from the public. In light of this, and for the safety of kids, SNAP will prod Conlon to disclose more names of credibly accused child molesting clerics.
(NOTE - The “Anderson Report” also includes these accused Joliet area clerics who are NOT on the diocesean ‘accused’ list: Fr. Gary Berthiaume,Fr. Robert Boley, Fr. Thomas Corbino, Br. Frank Luke Dalton, Fr. William C. Wert, Fr. Kenneth John Gansmann, Fr. Richard J. McGrath, Fr. Louis P. Rogge, Fr. Robert Murphy, Fr. Harold Jochem and Fr. Jeffrey Salwach.)