Roster of Statements


The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests

SNAP Press Statement

For immediate release: Friday, June 10, 2011

Abuse victims' group wants execution postponed

Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, National Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 566 9790 cell, [email protected])

We wholeheartedly support efforts to postpone the execution of Humberto Leal, and to try and protect kids from Fr. Federico Fernandez, through both secular and church channels.

We believe it is possible, even likely, that Fernandez could be criminally prosecuted, but only if Catholic and Texas authorities aggressively seek out others who saw, suspected or suffered the priest’s crimes. Delaying Mr. Leal’s execution is just and fair and would help this outreach process.

SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 23 years and have more than 10,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is

Contact - David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, [email protected]), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747, [email protected]), Peter Isely (414-429-7259, [email protected]), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell, [email protected])

At the Nexus of Abuse and Execution

By BRANDI GRISSOM - Published: June 9, 2011

SAN ANTONIO — St. Clare’s is a small church with a tight-knit congregation in this impoverished south side neighborhood, a place where neighbors come for a respite from the gritty streets.

But in the 1980s, it became a place of fear and shame for children who allege they were victims of sexual abuse by a prominent priest.

One of those alleged victims is Humberto Leal, a death row inmate who in 1995 was convicted of raping and bludgeoning to death a 16-year-old girl. His attorneys this week filed a clemency petition on his behalf. They asked Gov. Rick Perry and the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles to stay his execution and allow him to testify both as a victim and a witness of abuses allegedly perpetrated decades ago by Father Federico Fernandez, who served at St. Clare’s from 1983 to 1988.

Now, others who attended St. Clare’s have been spurred by Mr. Leal’s recent revelations to come forward and report similar abuse. They hope that by telling their stories they can stop the July 7 execution of Mr. Leal, and spur law enforcement to investigate and prosecute Father Fernandez.

The priest, who currently works in a church in Bogotá, Colombia, denies ever abusing anyone.

Church authorities in San Antonio removed him from the parish and sent him to New Mexico for treatment in 1988 after a grand jury indicted him for sexually abusing two other boys. In statements to police, the boys described multiple occasions when Father Fernandez schemed to get them alone and groped them. After the indictment, the boys’ family reached a settlement with the church, and the young men decided not to testify. Charges against Father Fernandez were dropped, and terms of the settlement were sealed.

Even before Father Fernandez arrived at St. Clare’s, he had been accused of sexual misconduct. In 1983, San Antonio police charged him with exposing himself in public, though the charges were eventually dropped. And since Mr. Leal’s revelation, others who attended St. Clare’s have reported similar abuse.

Under the shadow of a spindly tree in St. Clare’s parking lot — the modest structure where he was baptized and later married — a mild-mannered 44-year-old in work boots described how the priest who had been his boyhood role model nearly shattered his faith.

“I wanted to give myself to the church, and I got something bad,” said the man, who is not being identified because he is a victim of sexual abuse.

At 15, he wanted to be a priest. He faithfully attended Bible classes at St. Clare’s. He grew close to the priests there, and in particular Father Fernandez. It was Father Fernandez, he said, who took him into a room alone and then stripped naked in front of him.

“I was just played for a fool,” he said. But now he hopes that exposing his pain can help relieve someone else’s. “This person killed persons in their heart and their faith, and he gets away with it.”

As is usually the case in a criminal matter, the facts of what led to Mr. Leal facing execution next month are in dispute — all, that is, except that Adria Sauceda was raped and murdered. Mr. Leal maintains he did not rape the girl and witnesses testified at his trial that she had been gang raped at a party. Witnesses told the authorities that Mr. Leal arrived at the scene and, outraged at what had happened to her, took her away from the party. He admitted that he and Ms. Sauceda physically fought after they left, and that she could have died after he pushed her and she hit her head on a rock. The police found her body about 100 yards from the location of the party.

Mr. Leal’s attorneys argue that his court-appointed lawyers did little to defend him. They also say his original lawyers failed to investigate the abuse he says he suffered at the hands of the priest — evidence that might have persuaded jurors to spare him the death penalty.

“This is the kind of evidence that is so deeply compelling and humanizing that for the jury not to have heard it and not to have been able to consider it is reason alone to stay this case,” said Sandra Babcock, a Chicago-based lawyer.

For Mr. Leal, St. Clare’s was a refuge from an abusive home. His mother once tied him and his sister to a tree and beat them when they tried to escape, his lawyers say. When he misbehaved in communion classes, nuns would send Mr. Leal to Father Fernandez for punishment.

In March, during an interview with Dr. David Lisak, the forensic psychologist retained by his attorneys, Mr. Leal for the first time described the kind of punishment he received from Father Fernandez. It began with inappropriate touching and culminated, Mr. Leal said, with anal rape when he was in fifth grade. Dr. Lisak wrote that during the interview Mr. Leal “was experiencing intense humiliation and shame,” adding it was “so intense that he could not continue speaking.”

René — who asked that only his first name be used to protect the identity of his family — attended St. Clare’s from the time he was 7 in the 1950s. He was married there, and all six of his children were baptized in the church. When Father Fernandez arrived, René was the youth minister. He felt uneasy about Father Fernandez from the start, he said. Not long after, some of the youths began to tell alarming stories about unusual activities initiated by the priest. But his warnings to church authorities went unheeded, he said, and he and his family left St. Clare’s for another parish.

Then, last year, one of René’s daughters revealed that Father Fernandez had abused her, too. René said he knew Mr. Leal and his family from the neighborhood. Given his daughter’s experience and those of other children, René said he believes Mr. Leal’s story. “He’s describing the same things other people are describing,” he said. “Our government shouldn’t kill the guy until all this has been settled.”

Reached by phone in Bogotá, where he is serving at the Templo de San Francisco, Father Fernandez said he did not remember Mr. Leal. “No, never, I never abused sexually anybody,” he said. “I never met a person with that name.”

Deacon Pat Rodgers, spokesman for the Archdiocese of San Antonio, said authorities there have informed the Franciscan Order, to which Father Fernandez belongs, of the new allegations by Mr. Leal. He said the diocese had been unable to locate Father Fernandez. “Things are moving as quickly as they can, but we have very little information to go on,” Mr. Rogers said.

The head of the international order of Franciscan priests wrote to state officials on Mr. Leal’s behalf. Father William Spencer wrote that he could not confirm Mr. Leal’s account of abuse, but given Father Fernandez’s history, it raises the possibility that jurors who sentenced Mr. Leal to death were unaware of mitigating evidence that could have persuaded them to imprison him for life instead. Father Spencer did not return calls requesting comment.

Katherine Cesinger, a spokeswoman for Mr. Perry, said the governor could not grant a reprieve without a recommendation from the Board of Pardons and Paroles.

Enrico Valdez, chief of the Bexar County district attorney’s appellate division, said his office is not considering withdrawing Mr. Leal’s execution date.

“I’m always a little suspect when it’s right before an execution date that claims of this nature arise,” Mr. Valdez said, noting that Mr. Leal has had many opportunities since he was convicted to bring up his claims of sexual abuse. “There really is no reason at this point to delay the execution any longer.”

[email protected]

Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests