Pope accepts resignation of Los Angeles auxiliary accused of abuse
VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of 69-year-old Auxiliary Bishop Alexander Salazar of Los Angeles after the archdiocese's independent Clergy Misconduct Oversight Board recommended he not be allowed to minister because of an allegation of sexual misconduct with a minor in the 1990s.
The Vatican announced Dec. 19 that Pope Francis had accepted his resignation, although the Vatican did not explain the reason for his stepping down.
In a letter to the people of the archdiocese, Archbishop Jose H. Gomez said, "I regret to inform you that in 2005, a year after he had been ordained a bishop, the archdiocese was made aware of an allegation against Bishop Salazar of misconduct with a minor."
The allegation "was never directly reported to the archdiocese," he said, but "it was investigated by law enforcement in 2002 and the district attorney did not prosecute."
Bishop Salazar has consistently denied the allegation.
"Since he was a bishop at the time the allegation was received, the archdiocese referred the matter to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith at the Holy See, which conducted an investigation and imposed certain precautionary measures on the ministry of Bishop Salazar," Archbishop Gomez said.
Without providing details, a separate statement from the archdiocese said the doctrinal congregation "investigated and permitted Bishop Salazar to remain in ministry subject to certain precautionary conditions, which he has respected."
The statement added, "The archdiocese has not received any other allegatio...