News Story of the Day
The priest who once led a prominent vocational program for Latino men interested in the priesthood has been arrested on child pornography charges, NBC 5 has learned.
Father Octavio Munoz, of Casa Jesus, will appear in bond court at noon in Chicago, according to the Cook County State's Attorney's Office and Chicago police.
By nine.com.au staff, September 6, 2016
The family of a Catholic bishop blamed for allowing the sexual abuse of hundreds of children say they support his decision to leave $2.1m to the church.
Bishop Rodney Mulkearns died in April aged 85 and left almost his entire estate to the Catholic diocese of Ballarat, including a $2m house in Fairhaven.
By Allan Preston, September 1, 2016, Belfast Telegraph
Outspoken priest Brian D'Arcy has claimed a number of women committed suicide after suffering abuse at the hands of paedophile priest Brendan Smyth.
Fr D'Arcy made the comments in an interview with Hot Press magazine published today.
"There have been people, young women, who took their own lives because of what Brendan Smyth did to them," the Enniskillen priest said. "I know this personally. They took their own lives because of what Brendan Smyth did to them."
JOSEPH TREITOVSKY, 31 AUGUST 2016, The Jewish Voice
Is there a divide in the Orthodox Rabbinate regarding preventing child sexual abuse?
In an unprecedented and crucially positive step forward, 300 Orthodox Rabbis from across the nation signed a proclamation regarding child safety in the Orthodox Jewish community. Synagogues and schools are called upon to adopt certain preventative measures outlined in the document to deter child abuse and child sexual abuse.
By Karen Florin, Day staff writer, August 29, 2016, theDay
A 37-year-old Woodstock man who says he was sexually assaulted hundreds of times by a Catholic priest while serving as an altar boy at the Holy Trinity Church in Pomfret in the 1990s has filed a lawsuit against the Diocese of Norwich, retired Bishop Daniel P. Reilly and the church.
The Norwich Diocese previously settled two lawsuits brought by boys who were molested by the priest, Paul Hebert, when he served at St. Michael the Archangel Church in Pawcatuck from 1971 to 1981.
Editorial, Posted Aug. 28, 2016, Providence Journal
There were cries of relief this month after St. George’s School, in Middletown, agreed to a settlement with as many as 30 alumni who claimed they had been sexually abused. Finally, after decades, the victims’ claims had been acknowledged, and validated.
But even if the settlement, which was not made public, eases some of the pain felt by the victims, the story of abuse at this elite Episcopal prep school and the decades-long trail that followed one of the alleged perpetrators presents a clear warning.
By Patsy McGarry, August 26, 2016, The Irish Times
One of the more remarkable features of the clerical child sexual abuse scandal has been the low conviction level of alleged perpetrators in the courts.
Last September the National Board for Safeguarding Children, the Catholic Church watchdog in Ireland, published a report looking at 325 allegations made against 141 members of six religious congregations.
Of those, the report found, only eight led to convictions.
California nearing landmark change to sex-crime statute of limitations as New York lawmakers lag behind
BY LEONARD GREENE, NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, August 22, 2016
California's state assembly is close to accomplishing something New York lawmakers could not do — change the way sexual assault is prosecuted.
Inspired by Bill Cosby, of all people, elected leaders in the Golden State passed a bill last week to end the time limit for prosecuting rape and felony sex crimes.
In news articles about sexual assault, 1 in 4 comments blame the victim.
By Tyler Kingkade, August 18, 2016, Huffington Post
One-fourth of all online comments at the end of news articles about sexual assault and rape include victim-blaming statements, new research out of the University of Southern California shows.
The study examined 52 articles and found that only one did not contain comments offering support for the accused perpetrator, the study said. Victim-blaming statements appeared in 1,097 of the 4,239 comments ― or just over 25 percent of them.
By Nestor Ramos GLOBE STAFF AUGUST 16, 2016, Boston Globe
Victims advocates and legal observers expressed consternation on Monday about a New Hampshire prep school’s request to reveal the identity of a teenage sexual assault victim if her family’s lawsuit against the school reaches trial.
In raising the issue of the girl’s continued anonymity, St. Paul’s School is leaning on legal strategies that are common in high-profile civil cases involving sexual assault, lawyers said. But because St. Paul’s is an educational institution responsible for keeping children safe, the tactic left some scratching — or shaking — their heads.