Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 566 9790, SNAPclohessy@aol.com)
We are saddened but not surprised by these allegations.
- One cleric defied Catholic hierarchy & helped victims.
- The other heads a parish that tangled with Archbishop Burke.
Shame on Davenport Bishop Martin Amos, and shame on diocesan public relations man David Montgomery. Their refusal to disclose where two potentially dangerous child molesting clerics live is stunningly reckless.
- She decried Catholic hierarchy’s cover-ups & helped victims.
- Reform-minded lay group & victims organization praise her.
- Her devotion to personal support and public advocacy is a model for Catholics, SNAP says.
Walnut Creek man who was sexually assaulted as a child by a former Bay Area priest won a legal victory last week in his struggle for justice. An Illinois judge ruled that the victim can seek punitive damages against the Jesuits for abuse perpetrated by Fr. Donald McGuire, who was once Mother Teresa’s spiritual advisor.
A Minnesota judge has ruled that a civil child sex abuse and cover up lawsuit against a notorious predator priest (Fr. Thomas Adamson) and his Catholic supervisors (in the Twin Cities and Winona) can proceed.
A judge has ordered the Maine attorney general to release details of sex-abuse allegations made against Roman Catholic clergy who are now dead.
In a written decision issued Friday, Superior Court Justice Kirk Studstrup said the privacy rights of alleged victims and abusers named in the files have been eroded by time and the deaths of the priests.
"In contrast," he wrote, "the public interest in allegations of sexual abuse of minors, and particularly how such allegations were or were not investigated by the (Portland) Diocese and law enforcement officials, is of great and appropriate public interest."