CA - Victims blast Stockton Bishop: Remove accused priest
- Despite second allegation of abuse, he remains in ministry
- One case against cleric heads to trial later this year, and
- Newest case involves young boy, police investigating
- Follow your own policies and the policies of your fellow bishops, SNAP demands
- SNAP to Catholics: Donate elsewhere until diocese officials protect kids
What: Holding signs and photos of themselves at the age they were abused, victims will demand Stockton Diocese officials remove a priest from active ministry who has been accused of abuse by a second child in four years. They will also:
-- Beg diocese officials to reach out to potential victims of abuse at every parish where Fr. Michael Kelly has worked,
-- Release Kelly's secret personnel file to law enforcement, and
-- Apologize to parishioners at Kelly's current parish, where children may still be at risk.
They will also:
-- Urge Catholics to donate elsewhere until Bishop Stephen Blaire can follow his own child safety policies, and
-- Ask anyone who has been abused, or who has seen or suspected abuse, to call law enforcement, NOT the church
212 N San Joaquin St (at Channel) in Stockton
50 State AG Call for Grand Jury
Any investigation must be:
- independent of and separate from the church
- must have subpoena powers and ability to compel testimony under oath
Anything short of these criteria is a sham and whitewash.
In addition, write letters to the editor, make phone calls to politicians as they can apply pressure to keep them responsive to our demand. We need to make efforts to ensure that they follow up on what the state is doing to investigate these crimes.
Note to Letter Writers
Use your own words and style of writing. Cut and paste from the templates as you wish. Include your experiences, whether as a survivor or as a member of the community. And relate your letter to the state you were abused in or state now living in.