Victims blast Stockton bishop
Victims blast Stockton bishop
He leaves 7 publicly accused priests off his list
Group is convinced his omissions are “deliberate”
Each cleric was in the diocese & has been ‘outed’ elsewhere
SNAP: “Victims, witnesses & whistleblowers must speak up now”
Holding signs and childhood photos at a sidewalk news conference, two clergy sex abuse victims will disclose names and information about seven publicly accused child molesting clerics who spent time in the Stockton area but have attracted virtually no public attention in the area and are NOT on the official Stockton diocese’s list of abusers.
They will also
--prod Stockton’s Catholic bishop to add more names to his “credibly accused” clergy list,
--urge victims to “step forward, get help, protect kids and expose predators,” and
--beg anyone who saw, suspected or suffered clergy sex crimes or cover ups in California to “contact independent sources of help like police, therapists and support groups like ours.”
Tuesday, April 16 at 1:00 p.m.
On the sidewalk outside the Stockton Catholic diocese headquarters (“chancery office”),
212 N. San Joaquin Street (corner of Channel) in Stockton (209 466 0636)
One-two abuse victims including a Missouri man who is the former long time executive director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAPnetwork.org)
1)--------------In 2017, forced to do so by a judge, the Stockton diocese posted names of 15 "credibly accused" abusers on their website.
But SNAP has found seven more publicly accused abusive clerics who spent time in the Stockton area who’ve been omitted and should be included, the group says. They are:
--Fr. Mario Cimmarrusti, who was ordained in 1957, died in 2013 and spent time in Arizona, Oregon, Minnesota, Missouri and Mexico plus in at least four California towns (Oakland, Santa Barbara, Delano and Stockton, where he was assigned to St. Mary of the Assumption parish from 1982-1985).
He was sued for abuse in 2003. In 2006, a settlement was reached in a case involving Fr. Cimmarrusti and seven other priests accused of molesting students at St. Anthony's Seminary High School, the Santa Barbara Boys Choir and the Santa Barbara Mission.
His last known address was San Damiano Retreat House in Danville, California in the Oakland diocese. His name was included on the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ 2004 list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors. From approximately 1994 to his death in 2012, Fr. Cimmarrusti’s whereabouts and his status as a priest are unknown.
--Fr. Julio Cesar Guarin-Sosa, who was arrested in 2013 for allegedly assaulting a girl but was found not guilty later that same year by a jury. He was a visiting priest from Colombia South America and was working at St. Anne Church in Lodi, CA.
--Fr. William S. Myers, who was put on leave in May 2011 for a "boundary violation" after it became known by the archdiocese that he had followed a 17 year-old boy into a San Francisco clothing store dressing room the previous month. Myers acknowledged he had a sexual addiction to adults, and said he thought the boy was an adult. Earlier in his career Myers underwent treatment for sexual identity issues. From 1988-1991, he was at our Lady of Fatima parish in Stockton.
--Fr. Raymond A. Devlin, who was ordained in 1955, died in 2011 and worked in New York, Utah and at least five California towns: Los Gatos, San Francisco, San Jose, Morgan Hill, and Stockton, from 1995-1997 at the Cathedral of the Annunciation. In 2002, he was accused of and “removed from the Salt Lake City diocese and given new assignments that do not involve contact with children.”
--Fr. Lynn Richard Caffoe, who was first accused in the early 1970s, suspended from ministry in 1991 and laicized in 2006. In 2004, his name was included on the Los Angeles archdiocese’s list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors. Fr. Caffoe reportedly lived and/or worked in the dioceses of San Diego, Portland, andMonterey after leaving Los Angeles and faces at accusations by at least 15 victims.
From 1998-2001, he is listed in the Official Catholic Directory as working at the United States Mission in San Diego CA, Portland OR and Modesto, CA.
--Fr. James Cairns, who was ordained in 1969, and worked in San Fernando, Montebello, Camarillo, Los Angeles, and Fresno. He is believed to be living now in Modesto.
Fr. Cairns is a Vincentian and is accused of sexually abusing at least one child from approximately 1971 to 1973. He was included in the Los Angeles archdiocese’s list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors.
--Fr. Theodore Feely, who was ordained in 1958, and worked in Illinois, Nevada, and several California dioceses. In 2002, two men came forward to accuse him of sexually abusing them from approximately 1968-1972 while he worked at St. Anthony of Padua in Rockford, Illinois. One of the men filed a civil suit in 2006 against theRockford diocese. In 1982, Fr. Feely worked at St. George’s parish in Stockton.
SNAP wants these individuals, plus “any other accused priest, nun, brother, bishop, seminarian, monk or lay church employee” to be added to the Stockton diocese’s ‘accused’ list.
2)------------Bishop Myron Cotta’s list of "credibly accused" priests also omits the photos and whereabouts of those priests. Those details should be provided, SNAP says, because they will help survivors identify their abuse as well as protect kids.
Where these priests are now is important because nearby parents and prospective employers should be warned about their presence. That is the single best step the bishop could take to prevent more horrific crimes against more innocent kids.
How they looked in the past is important because that information helps victims identify them. It usually takes decades for survivors to come forward. They might only recall that everyone called him "Father Mac," not knowing whether he was Fr. Mack Smith or Fr. McGillicuty or Fr. MacArthur. Even parents who are long-time parishioners may have trouble remembering a priest who worked in their church just a few months.
Every time an abuser remains hidden, kids remain at risk, SNAP maintains. “Disclosing the truth is the best way to safeguard the vulnerable, heal the wounded and help the church move forward,” the group says.
Finally, SNAP is begging anyone who may have seen, suspected or suffered crimes or cover ups in California to contact local law enforcement, especially the state attorney general.
NOTE - The 15 clergy already on the Stockton diocese with “credible” allegations of sexual misconduct are: Fr. Antonio Camacho, Br. Didachus Clavell, Fr. Eduardo De Jesus, Perez Torrez, Fr. Murty Fahy, Fr. Michael Kelly, Fr. Louie Ladenburger, Fr. Titian Miani, Fr. Antonio Munoz Rodriguez, Monsignor Edward Noonan, Fr. Oliver O’Grady, Fr. Manuel Pascual, Fr. Oskar Pelaez, Fr. Leo Suarez and Fr. Fernando Villalobos.
More information on Stockton area accused clergy can be found at BishopAccountability.org
Join us at the 2019 SNAP National Conference!
The annual SNAP National Conference is your opportunity to connect with other survivors and advocates from around the country for a weekend of learning, healing and fun. This year's conference will be held from July 26-28 at the Westin Alexandria Hotel. Don't wait! Register for the conference today and be sure reserve your room at the Westin using our special discounted rate!
Stay tuned for more details included keynotes, workshop highlights, and more.Register Today