SNAP
Statement



BACK TO:


Roster of Statements



 

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests

SNAP Press Statement

For immediate release: Monday, July 25, 2011

Pope’s Irish representative recalled to Rome; SNAP responds

Statement by Barbara Dorris of St. Louis, Outreach Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 862 7688 home, 314 503 0003 cell, SNAPdorris@gmail.com)

The Pope’s representative in Ireland should be expelled, not recalled. Just a year and a half ago, Leanza refused to cooperate with Irish authorities who were investigating clergy sex crimes and cover ups, hiding behind the technicalities of formal diplomatic procedures, instead of acting responsibly and putting the safety of kids first.

He has still never adequately explained or been held responsible for his callous actions which, we suspect, were dictated by his supervisors at the Vatican.

The Pope should not officially respond to the Cloyne report until he is ready to announce specific, proven prevention steps that better protect kids. An “official response” that consists of just words would only add insult to injury.

The Catholic hierarchy has ignored, minimized and concealed horrific crimes against kids for centuries, and continues to do so now. It knows what to do. It doesn’t need months or weeks or even days to take appropriate action.

(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 23 years and have more than 10,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

Contact - David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, SNAPclohessy@aol.com), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747, SNAPblaine@gmail.com), Peter Isely (414-429-7259, peterisely@yahoo.com), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell, SNAPdorris@gmail.com)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/papal-nuncio-recalled-to-rome-over-cloyne-2830479.html

Papal Nuncio recalled to Rome over Cloyne Report fall-out

By Independent.ie Reporters

Monday July 25 2011

The Vatican has recalled its representative in Dublin in response to the damning report on the Catholic Church's handling of cases of child abuse by priests, Vatican Radio has reported.

Papal Nuncio Giuseppe Leanza is being called back to Rome for consultations over the Cloyne Report, which was published earlier this month.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny last week strongly criticised the Vatican for what he said was an attempt to frustrate the Cloyne inquiry, accusing it of downplaying the rape of children to protect its power and reputation.

Never before has a Taoiseach used such language in criticising the Catholic Church.

And on Friday the Government kept up the pressure when Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore added his voice to that of the Taoiseach and lashed out at the Vatican's response so far.

Mr Gilmore vented his anger at the unsatisfactory way which the Pope's chief spokesman, Fr Federico Lombardi, has engaged in megaphone diplomacy by issuing personal statements on the breakdown in relations between the Government and the Holy See.

The Vatican has yet to formally respond to a demand from the Government for an explanation, but today's move will be seen as the first step.

The Tanaiste said he expected to get a comprehensive response in "a reasonable time", specifying that this should be formulated "not beyond the end of August".

"This is not something that is going to be put on the long finger," warned Mr Gilmore.

He is aware that Pope Benedict XVI leaves Rome for his country residence at Castelgandolfo in August.

- Independent.ie Reporters


Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
www.snapnetwork.org