The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
SNAP Press Statement
For immediate release: Monday, July 11, 2011
Trial of accused predator priest begins, SNAP responds
Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, National Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314-566-9790, SNAPClohessy@aol.com)
We are pleased that Fr. Casey is finally going to trial for his alleged crimes. This is an important step in the healing process for Mr. Tucker, who has been carrying the pain of his abuse with him for decades. We encourage any other victims of Fr. Casey or other clerics to speak up, contact police, get help, and begin the healing process for themselves.
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 23 years and have more than 10,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
Contact - David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, SNAPclohessy@aol.com), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747, SNAPblaine@gmail.com), Peter Isely (414-429-7259, email@example.com), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell, SNAPdorris@gmail.com)
Child sex abuse trial of former Kingsport priest begins Monday
By Kacie Breeding
Published July 9th, 2011 5:17 am
The trial of a former Kingsport priest accused of sexually abusing an altar boy 30 years ago is set to begin on Monday.
William Casey, 76, 740 Shakerag Road, Greeneville, is charged with first-degree sexual misconduct and two counts of aggravated rape in Sullivan County Criminal Court. He was indicted on Aug. 31, 2010, and arrested the following month.
Casey’s charges stem from allegations reported by Warren Tucker, 46, of Jeffersonville, Ind., who has previously addressed the media about his claims. He alleges that Casey began to sexually abuse him shortly after becoming priest of St. Dominic’s Catholic Church in Kingsport in the 1970s. Tucker has said the alleged abuse occurred when he was an altar boy there, between 10 and 15 years of age. At the time, his mother was romantically involved with Casey, he said.
The indictments charge Casey with three specific incidents during that time span. Count one is alleged to have occurred between May 22, 1978, and May 20, 1979. The second and third offenses are alleged to have happened at different times in different locations between March 1, 1980, and April 15, 1980. Tucker reported his allegations to the Kingsport Police Department in April 2010.
A motion for a bill of particulars, essentially a request for more specific information concerning the victim's allegations, is one of several pre-trial motions defense team Rick Spivey and Matthew Spivey have filed since Casey's indictment and arrest. The state has filed several responses in an attempt to satisfy their request.
Most recently, Sullivan County District Attorney Barry Staubus and Assistant DA Julie Canter filed a supplement on July 1 that amended incorrect information, with regard to count three, that they had supplied in a prior response filed March 11.
According to the March 11 filing, Tucker alleges the earliest incident occurred in the church rectory when he was 13 years of age. The second incident is also alleged to have happened at the rectory, in either March or "early April," with Casey allegedly luring Tucker into his room with the promise of a gift, a "medallion" for his upcoming birthday. Count three is alleged to have occurred after Casey gave Tucker the medallion, while school was still in session, with the incorrect information reportedly being that Tucker recalled being 15 at the time.
The July 1 amendment says the state reviewed the evidence and determined a mistake had been made. What Tucker had said was that he recalled being 15 at the time of a separate, uncharged offense.
Casey has already pleaded guilty to similar offenses committed against Tucker in McDowell County, N.C., and he has additional charges pending in Scott County, Va., which also involve Tucker.
By the time Tucker reported his allegations to authorities, Casey had retired from the Notre Dame Parish in Greeneville. He was subsequently suspended from the Catholic ministry pending completion of the laicization process.
Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests