<% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %> <% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %>


SNAP
Statement



BACK TO:


Roster of Statements



 

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests

SNAP Press Statement

For immediate release: Friday, June 24, 2011

Predator priest quits, “Not enough” victims say

Statement by Joelle Casteix of Newport Beach CA, western regional director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (949 322 7434, jcasteix@gmail.com)

Fr. Parry, an admitted child molester, is quitting his post at a Las Vegan Episcopalian church. While we’re glad he won’t be working there, this isn’t enough.

Church officials – both Episcopalian and Catholic – owe their parishioners and the public an explanation and an apology for recklessly giving him access to children. They must also publicly and aggressively seek out others who may have seen, suspected or suffered Parry’s crimes. To stay silent or do nothing is irresponsible.

Let’s hope that every person who has any information or suspicions about Parry – or other clergy sex crimes and cover ups – will find the courage and strength to call police so that the full truth might become clear.

To current and former Las Vegas Catholics and Episcopalians, we say: If you have knowledge or suspicions - however old, small or seemingly insignificant - about Parry’s crimes, it is your moral and civic duty to call police. Please summon the courage to do what's right, call law enforcement and hopefully prevent more devastated lives.

Church officials shouldn’t split hairs, make excuses, and be silent. Whether a predator is a diocesan or religious order cleric, alive or dead, Protectant or Catholic, still in Nevada or moved elsewhere doesn’t matter. The shepherds have a duty to protect his flock, help law enforcement, warn unsuspecting families and work hard to find and help others who’ve been wounded.

(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 23 years and have more than 10,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

Contact - David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, SNAPclohessy@aol.com), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747, SNAPblaine@gmail.com), Peter Isely (414-429-7259, peterisely@yahoo.com), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell, SNAPdorris@gmail.com)

http://www.lvrj.com/news/lawsuit-against-missouri-monastery-involves-las-vegas-episcopal-priest-124432963.html

Las Vegas priest resigns amid sexual abuse lawsuit

By Jeff German

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Posted: Jun. 23, 2011 | 10:57 a.m.

A Las Vegas Episcopal priest resigned from his duties at his church Thursday after his name surfaced in a lawsuit alleging a Missouri monastery covered up sexual abuse by him.

The lawsuit, filed in Missouri by a former choir boy, alleged the Roman Catholic monastery, Conception Abbey, kept secret the boy's 1987 sexual assault by Bede Parry, then a Catholic priest who directed the choir.

Parry, 69, who was not named as a defendant in the lawsuit, had been serving as the organist and choir director at All Saints' Episcopal Church in Las Vegas since 2000.

He said he told the Episcopal Diocese of Nevada of his resignation as the Missouri lawsuit became public Thursday morning.

Bishop Dan Edwards, who heads the Nevada diocese, confirmed the resignation and said that because Parry remains a priest, the diocese is investigating internally to determine whether any further action needs to be taken against him.

"Certainly we regard this situation with grave concern," Edwards said. "We will need to be sure we are following the right process to be fair to all concerned."

Parry said he also asked the diocese to relieve him of his priest duties.

"I feel terrible for anybody that I've hurt," he said. "I feel terrible that my actions would cause a lawsuit to be filed against the abbey, and I feel terrible about letting down my friends and the diocese here."

Parry did not deny the 1987 incident in Missouri and said the abbey sent him to New Mexico afterward for several months of treatment.

But Parry insisted that he has had no other sexual incidents with minors since then, including during his time in Las Vegas.

Edwards said Parry's work at All Saints' has "not involved contact with youth or children."

The former choir boy, identified only as John Doe 181, was attending a summer choir camp in Missouri when the 1987 sexual assault occurred, the lawsuit alleged.

His parents confronted abbey officials after the assault and were told that Parry had a "mental breakdown" and would undergo treatment, the lawsuit said.

"In fact, Father Parry did not have a mental breakdown," the lawsuit alleged. "Instead, Father Parry was a known serial child predator who had sexually abused numerous students before Father Parry sexually abused plaintiff."

Parry admitted to abbey officials that he had other "inappropriate sexual relationships" between 1973 and 1979 while a monk at the monastery, the lawsuit alleged.

Parry didn't deny those allegations Thursday.

"The actions of the abbey were outrageous and utterly repugnant to a civilized society," the lawsuit said.

Abbey officials in Conception, Mo., said they were working on a statement to respond to the lawsuit.

Minnesota attorney Jeff Anderson, who filed the lawsuit on the former choir boy's behalf, said the allegations focus on the "institutional failures" of the abbey and Catholic Church to protect innocent children from Parry.

"They took a gamble and rolled the dice knowing there was a risk that he was going to offend again," Anderson said.

Anderson, who has made a career of filing sexual abuse cases involving clergy, said he has no proof that Parry committed any sexual acts against members of his Episcopal church in Las Vegas. But he added, "We have every reason to believe he is at grave risk for continuing to do it."

The lawsuit alleged that the results of psychological testing in 2000 showed that Parry was a "sexual abuser who had the proclivity to reoffend with minors." The results were provided to Catholic and Episcopal church leaders in Nevada, the lawsuit said.

Parry acknowledged the results but said Episcopal leaders here were not informed in 2000. He said he told church officials about the 1987 incident when he was applying to become an Episcopal priest in 2002. They did a background check and ended up allowing him into the priesthood in 2004.

Barbara Blaine, president and founder of the Chicago-based watchdog Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, was at All Saints' Episcopal Church on Thursday to call attention to the lawsuit and Parry's past. The Washington Avenue church has some 500 members.

"The reason that this is so horrific is that the Episcopal Church authorities knew about Father Parry's history, and yet they still allowed him to come and work here," she said.

Blaine, 54, who said she was a victim of sexual abuse by a priest herself as a teenager, said church officials should atone for allowing Parry to work there.

Contact reporter Jeff German at jgerman@review journal.com or 702-380-8135.


Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
www.snapnetwork.org
<% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %>