The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
SNAP Press Statement
For immediate release: Saturday, June 11, 2011
Prosecution of pedophile priest goes ahead; SNAP responds
Statement by Barbara Dorris of St. Louis, Outreach Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 862 7688 home, 314 503 0003 cell, SNAPdorris@gmail.com)
We are glad this brave man, Warren Tucker, will get his day in court. And we’re grateful that this predator, Fr. William Casey, will finally be held responsible for his heinous crimes.
Every time a pedophile priest is prosecuted, kids are safer. We applaud Warren for his courage and are confident that Casey will be found guilty.
We hope this positive news will encourage others who have been hurt by child molesting clerics to come forward, get help, call police, protect kids and start healing.
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 23 years and have more than 10,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
Contact - David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, SNAPclohessy@aol.com), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747, SNAPblaine@gmail.com), Peter Isely (414-429-7259, email@example.com), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell, SNAPdorris@gmail.com)
Judge refuses to dismiss charges against former Kingsport priest
By Kacie Breeding - Published June 11th, 2011 | Added June 11th, 2011
BLOUNTVILLE — The defense team of a former Kingsport priest accused of child sexual abuse failed Friday in their latest bid for dismissal of all indictments against their client.
William Casey, 76, 740 Shakerag Road, Greeneville, is charged with first-degree sexual misconduct and two counts of aggravated rape in a Blountville court. He was indicted on Aug. 31, 2010.
Casey’s charges stem from allegations reported by Warren Tucker, 45, of Jeffersonville, Ind., who has previously addressed the media about his claims. He alleges that Casey began to sexually abuse him shortly after becoming priest of St. Dominic’s Catholic Church in Kingsport in the 1970s. Tucker has said the alleged abuse occurred when he was an altar boy there, between 10 and 15 years of age. At the time, his mother was romantically involved with C a s e y.
During Friday’s hearing, Casey’s attorneys, Rick and Matthew Spivey, argued a renewed motion for dismissal of all of Casey’s charges, which they had filed on May 20.
In that filing, the Spiveys said they wanted the March hearing reopened so they could cross-examine Tucker about statements he allegedly made to Detective Jennifer Trantham of the Mc-Dowell County (N.C.) Sheriff’s Office and to Kingsport Police Department Detective Chris Tincher. They said the state produced the statements after the March hearing, and a review uncovered “inconsistencies” with Tucker’s testim o n y.
During the hearing, they argued that Tucker has been inconsistent about his age at the time of the alleged abuse for which Casey is charged, leaving them unable to form a proper defense for trial.
They also argued that based on Tucker’s own statement to Tincher, he was 15 when count three — one of the alleged aggravated rapes — occurred. Based on that information, they argued the statute of limitations has expired.
In a June 7 filing, Sullivan County Deputy District Attorney Barry Staubus and Assistant District Attorney Julie Canter responded that they believed the reasons cited for dismissal were without merit.
During Friday’s hearing, Staubus and Canter acknowledged that Tucker has said his memories of what occurred were returning a little at a time and contended that the issue of Tucker’s age at the time of the offense is one for a jury to decide after hearing his testimony.
“If his proof is at trial that he’s 15, then I’ll dismiss it,” Sullivan County Criminal Court Judge Robert Montgomery told the defense at one point.
At the end of the hearing, Montgomery found that the issues the Spiveys had argued should be resolved at trial, not before. It is currently scheduled for July 11.
Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests