The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
SNAP Press Statement
For immediate release: Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Ex-NH nun, accused of molesting, is “outed” in CT
Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 566 9790, SNAPclohessy@aol.com)
Two years ago, the NH Attorney General publicly disclosed a credible child sex abuse allegation against a Catholic nun, Patricia Long. Since then, Long has moved twice, changed her name, her denomination, and her job title, and been hired by another church and has access to more unsuspecting families. Now, Long has been exposed in Connecticut, where she worked for at least four years recently as a Protestant minister.
New Hampshire Catholic Bishop John McCormack has had at least two years to warn his flock about Long and reach out to others who may have seen, suspected or suffered her crimes. But as best we can tell, he’s done nothing. Let’s hope he will now finally stop talking about protecting kids and actually do something to protect kids. We suggest he start by taking two simple, proven, helpful steps:
That’s what any truly caring shepherd would do. McCormack’s choice is simple: he can warn parents about and protect kids from a credibly accused child molester, or he can passively sit back, make excuses and do nothing.
(According to today’s New Haven Register, Long is believed to now be living in Massachusetts.)
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 23 years and have more than 10,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
Contact - David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, SNAPclohessy@aol.com), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747, SNAPblaine@gmail.com), Peter Isely (414-429-7259, firstname.lastname@example.org), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell, SNAPdorris@gmail.com)
Activists urge diocese to publicize abuse claims
Tim Loh, Staff Writer,Updated 11:11 p.m., Monday, March 28, 2011
BRIDGEPORT -- A pair of Roman Catholic activists on Monday called on Bishop William Lori to warn parishioners of three individuals they claim have been "credibly accused" of sexual improprieties.
In a mid-afternoon rally held outside the diocese headquarters on Jewett Avenue, the two protesters also urged Lori to place the names of all priests who have been removed for allegations of sexual abuse on the diocesan website and to more openly share information about all personnel who come under review for the offense.
None of the three individuals the protesters cited as being dangerous -- the Rev. Paul Carrier, a former Fairfield University official; Carlo Fabbozzi, a former janitor and landscaper at St. Theresa's Church in Trumbull; and the Rev. Patricia Long, a former minister at the Congregational Church of New Canaan -- has ever been charged criminally.
In response, the diocese on Monday said it has no ties to the three individuals and said that its program for preventing sexual abuse is among the country's best.
But the protesters -- David Clohessy, director of the Survival Network of those Abused by Priests, and Anne Barrett Doyle, of BishopAccountability.org -- were not optimistic.
"The bishop is responsible for the safety and well-being of his flock," said Clohessy, a Missouri resident who directs the Chicago-based organization. "Each of these three has spent time in this diocese and is still walking free and dangerous."
Long, the third person cited, has thus far stayed out of the public spotlight. She never worked for the Bridgeport Diocese and no longer lives in the area, according to property records and someone who worked with her from 2005 to 2009 in New Canaan. A message left at her Massachusetts residence was not returned Monday.
Long was publicly identified by the New Hampshire attorney general's office in March 2009 as the woman accused of sexually assaulting a girl repeatedly in Concord, N.H., in the 1970s. At the time, Long was working as a youth minister at St. John the Evangelist Church in the town.
That state's Attorney General's Office spent much of the last decade investigating the Manchester, N.H., diocese and its handling of decades of sexual molestation allegations, said Will Delker, senior assistant attorney general of New Hampshire. The probe culminated with the publication of nearly 10,000 pages of material, in which Long's case was included.
A flurry of emails exchanged by that office and a private attorney in 2008 reveal that Long was accused of abusing a girl for four to five years. The illicit contact allegedly ceased when the girl was diagnosed with an ulcer when she was 15.
Long was never charged with a crime, Delker said; the statute of limitations for the alleged offenses expired in the mid-1980s. Long left New Hampshire around that time, became a Protestant, and then eventually arrived in New Canaan midway through the last decade, according to the documents made public by that Attorney General's Office.
The protest came one week after the diocese agreed to pay $200,000 to the family of a man who claimed he was abused as a child by Fabbozzi, who was fired by St. Theresa's in 2002 after complaints against him surfaced.
Carrier was suspended from his Jesuit order in December for allegations that he sexually and mentally abused Douglas Perlitz -- who was sentenced that month to nearly 20 years in federal prison for abusing homeless boys in Haiti.
Reach Tim Loh at email@example.com or 203-330-6377. Follow at twitter.com/timloh
Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests