% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %> <% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %>
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
SNAP Press Statement
For immediate release: Friday, October 22, 2010
Ex LA area priest guilty of abuse; Sex abuse victims respond
Statement by Joelle Casteix of Newport Beach CA, western regional director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (949 322 7434, email@example.com)
We are grateful that Fr. James Robinson has been found guilty of molesting boys today. He was at three local parishes with Catholic schools, so we strongly suspect he also assaulted children in California. Here’s where he lived/worked in the LA area:
1986-1989 Location in CA unknown
Cardinal Mahony’s days in office are waning. We urge him to show compassion and leadership by personally visiting each of these churches and personally begging anyone who was hurt by Robinson to come forward, get help and start healing.
And we hope that anyone who saw, suspected or suffered Robinson’s crimes will speak up, protect kids, and get help.
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 22 years and have more than 10,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
Contact David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, SNAPclohessy@aol.com), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747, SNAPblaine@gmail.com), Peter Isely (414-429-7259, firstname.lastname@example.org), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell, SNAPdorris@gmail.com)
UK jury convicts ex-priest of sexual abuse of boys
The Associated Press - Friday, October 22, 2010; 9:43 AM
LONDON -- A British judge has sentenced a former Roman Catholic priest to 21 years in jail after he was convicted of 21 charges of sexual offenses against boys.
The defendant, 73-year-old James Robinson, 73, had denied the charges. He was accused of abusing boys from 1959 to 1983. He was ordained in 1971.
Judge Patrick Thomas described Robinson on Friday as devious and manipulative. Thomas says "the offenses you committed were unimaginably wicked and caused immense and long-lasting - we can only hope not permanent - damage to the six victims."
Robinson left Britain in 1985 and moved to California. Police issued an arrest warrant against him after he was tracked down by a BBC program and challenged in person by one of his accusers.
He was arrested in Duarte, California, last year and extradited.
Ex-priest found guilty of child abuse (AFP)
LONDON — An ex-priest was on Friday jailed for 21 years for a campaign of sexual abuse against young boys over more than two decades.
James Robinson, 73, who has lived in the United States since 1985 but was extradited from California last year to face trial, was found guilty of 21 sexual offences by a jury at Birmingham Crown Court in central England.
The jury heard that the former Roman Catholic priest, who was ordained in 1971, moved from parish to parish sexually abusing children, including two altar boys.
One victim told the court he had "carried" Robinson's face with him since being assaulted.
Jurors were told that he used his status as a priest to gain "unfettered and unlimited" access to boys, giving them gifts and taking them on trips in his sports car.
Robinson, known to churchgoers as Father Jim, had denied all the offences, which were committed between 1959 and 1983. Jurors deliberated for about six hours before unanimously convicting him.
Unusually, Robinson did not face charges relating to two of his six victims because they contacted the police after his extradition. However, the two were allowed to give evidence in support of the other four.
Paedophile priest scandals and allegations of high-level cover-ups that swept Australia and the United States in 2004 have surged again since last year and rocked the Roman Catholic Church.
A new wave of scandals began in Ireland last November with revelations of widespread abuse, in many cases stretching back decades, then spread to Pope Benedict XVI's native Germany, Belgium, Austria, United States, Brazil and other countries.
The pontiff has faced allegations that, as archbishop of Munich and later as the head of a powerful Vatican body, he helped to protect paedophile priests.
He admitted during a visit to Britain last month that the Church had failed to act quickly enough to stamp out the problem.
Copyright © 2010 AFP. All rights reserved.
Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests