The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
SNAP Press Statement
For immediate release: Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Clergy sex victims blast archdiocese over twice accused priest
Statement by David Clohessy, SNAP Executive Director, 314 566 9790
Most child sex abuse victims try to numb or cope with the horrific pain through addictions and often engage in anti-social and self-destructive behaviors. Yet, in a perverse, Orwellian twist, Catholic officials often use those same, predictable behaviors to discredit victims who report child sex crimes. It’s a ludicrous, hurtful pattern which church staff seem intent to keep perpetuating, no matter how high the costs, in dollars and human suffering.
This case shows, yet again, how extraordinarily flawed so-called church “investigations” into child sex reports are.
Catholics, citizens and cops should be extremely skeptical when Catholic officials claim they have “cleared” an accused pedophile priest.
On its face, a secretive system which takes five years to resolve a child sex report is obviously deeply flawed.
Our hearts go out to everyone who was hurt by Fr. Curran, but especially the brave inmate who, in 2002, found the strength and courage to expose this predator but has been disbelieved for years.
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 22 years and have more than 10,000 members. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
Contact David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747), Peter Isely (414-429-7259), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell)
Cleared once, Catholic priest faces new sex abuse allegations
A Catholic priest who had been cleared of earlier allegations of child sexual abuse is facing new ones and has been barred from any ministry, the Archdiocese of Boston announced today.
The Rev. Thomas M. Curran was placed on administrative leave from 2002 to 2007 following the previous allegations. In 2007, he was placed in permanent disability status, only allowed to celebrate the sacraments with his family.
Until the new allegations, which date back to the 1970s and 1980s, are investigated, the archdiocese said in a statement, Curran will be restricted from any ministry, including with his family.
The archdiocese said in a statement that it had "immediately notified local authorities."
"It is with great sadness that we announce these additional allegations of sexual abuse," Cardinal Sean P. O'Malley said in a statement. "As new information and accusations emerge, we again experience the painful reality of this crisis. While this news is difficult and troubling for us all to receive, it underscores the importance of our ongoing efforts to diligently respond to allegations and strengthens our ardent commitment to safeguard children."
O'Malley asked anyone who might need assistance to contact the archdiocese's Office of Pastoral Support and Outreach, which has professional counselors to offer assistance.
Curran was accused of rape in 2002 by a prison inmate. The inmate, who was serving time for raping a young boy, charged that the priest raped him in the 1970s and introduced him to another figure in the clergy abuse scandal, Rev. Paul Shanley, who also raped him.
Curran strongly and vehemently denied the charges, telling the Globe in 2003 that "none of it is true" and lamenting that "some psychopath from a prison" would get him thrown out of the ministry. He was cleared by the archdiocese in 2007.
Archdiocesan spokeswoman Kelly Lynch would not disclose where Currran lives now.
Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests