The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
SNAP Press Statement
For immediate release: Friday, June 4, 2010
Trials vs. notorious predator priest will go forward; SNAP responds
Statement by Barbara Dorris, outreach director of SNAP, Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314-503-0003 cell, 314-862-7688 home)
We’re grateful for this ruling that will help expose deeply held secrets about the Catholic hierarchy. It’s often only through civil trials that the public learns just how extensive and on-going clergy sex crimes and cover ups are. Such trials are often very healing for victims, because top Catholic officials are forced to disclose, in open court and under oath, how much they knew about and how little they did about dangerous clerics.
We hope this news will prod others who saw, suspected or suffered crimes by DeLuca, Power or O’Brien to come forward, get help, call police, expose wrongdoers and start healing.
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world's oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We've been around for 22 years and have more than 9,000 members across the globe. Despite the word "priest" in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
Contacts: David Clohessy (314 566 9790 cell, 314 645 5915 home), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747), Mark Serrano (703-727-4940), Peter Isely (414-429-7259), Barbara Dorris (314-503-0003)
Jun 4, 2010 11:52 am US/Eastern
Bankruptcy Order Allows Priest Abuse Trials
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) – A federal bankruptcy judge says several child sex abuse trials involving a former Diocese of Wilmington priest can be scheduled for trial.
The judge amended a previous order this week to allow eight trials alleging abuse by Francis DeLuca to began as soon as October. The order allows lawsuits to proceed against St. Elizabeth's, St. John's and St. Matthew's parishes.
The judge initially put the trials against the parishes on hold after the diocese filed for bankruptcy last year.
In other developments, an attorney for the alleged DeLuca victims says two new child sex abuse cases have been filed against parishes in Wilmington, Cambridge, Md., and Elkton, Md., alleging abuse by the late diocesan priests Walter Power and John O'Brien.
(© 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests