<% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %> <% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %>


SNAP
Statement



BACK TO:


Roster of Statements



 

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests

SNAP Press Statement

For immediate release: Monday, May 3, 2010

Priest removed from ministry for 'inappropriate relationship'; SNAP responds

Statement by Therese Albrecht, SNAP Chicago Spokesperson (708-263-3050)

Those who knew of and concealed this wrong doing must be punished. It's not enough to claim to be "heartbroken" about the sexual abuse. Church and school officials almost certainly knew of Reuter's misdeeds yet hid them from students, staff, parents and the public.

It's possible that Reuter used that secrecy and delay to fabricate alibis, intimidate victims, threaten witnesses, destroy evidence and even hurt others, perhaps even breaking the law.

Just last week, another former head of another Jesuit school (Fr. Daniel O'Connell of St. Louis University, who also taught at Loyola University Chicago) was named in a sex abuse lawsuit. And for years, Jesuits ignored credible reports of abuse by Fr. Donald McGuire, who is now locked up after being convicted of molesting three boys, two of whom were abused at Loyola Academy. This religious order, which likes to posture as 'progressive,' is sadly every bit as corrupt as many others.

(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world's oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We've been around for 22 years and have more than 9,000 members across the globe. Despite the word "priest" in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

Contacts: David Clohessy (314 566 9790 cell, 314 645 5915 home), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747), Mark Serrano (703-727-4940), Peter Isely (414-429-7259)

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/neighborhoods.html?region=1395638

Priest removed from ministry for 'inappropriate relationship'
May 3, 2010 1:02 PM | No Comments

A former president of Loyola Academy has been removed from active ministry after he admitted to having an "inappropriate relationship" with a student during his 15-year tenure at the Wilmette school, school and religious officials said today.

Rev. Larry Reuter served as president of the Jesuit school from 1975 until 1990.

He reportedly admitted to a relationship with an 18-year-old student, though the time frame of when the incident occurred was not immediately known. Loyola was an all-male high school until the fall of 1994, when it went co-ed. No other information was available about the student.

"We are heartbroken by this violation of trust by a former member of our community," Loyola President Rev. Patrick McGrath said in a prepared statement released Monday.

The decision to remove Reuter from active ministry was made by the Chicago and Detroit Province of the Society of Jesus, the organization that oversees Jesuits in the region. In a prepared statement, the Rev. Timothy Kesicki, provincial of the local province, said the incident came to light as part of a routine review of personnel files intended to address any inappropriate or unethical conduct.

Jesuit officials reached a settlement and "sought reconciliation" with the former student, according to the statement. Details of the arrangement will not be disclosed.

In addition to his time at Loyola Academy, Reuter also worked at Loyola University in Chicago and Ascension Parish.
-- Tara Malone


Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
www.snapnetwork.org
<% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %>