<% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %> <% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %>


SNAP
Statement



BACK TO:


Roster of Statements



 

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests

SNAP Press Statement

For immediate release: Friday, April 30, 2010

Priest pleads not guilty to new sexual abuse charges; SNAP responds

Statement by Barbara Dorris, Outreach Director 314 862 7688

Why aren't local Catholic officials beating the bushes to help police and prosecutors develop more leads, find more victims, locate more evidence and get the full truth? Church figures claim they 'cooperate' with law enforcement, but in practice, that means they usually respond when forced to by subpoena. If the Catholic hierarchy is 'reforming,' they would try harder to reach and help those who have been hurt and those who are pursuing criminals.

SNAP, Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s largest and oldest support group for victims of clergy sexual abuse. Founded in 1988, SNAP has over 9,000 members.

Contact:
David Clohessy, 314 566 9790, snapclohessy@aol.com
Barbara Blaine, 3123994747, snapblaine@gmail.com

Priest pleads not guilty to new sexual abuse charges

April 30, 2010 3:52 PM

A Roman Catholic priest from Bolivia pleaded not guilty Friday to new charges that he sexually abused a west suburban boy and attempted to abuse the boy's older brother.

Rev. Alejandro Flores, 37, was arraigned on nine new counts brought earlier this month by a Kane County grand jury.

The priest was already facing seven felony counts brought in January, alleging that he assaulted a St. Charles boy beginning in 2005 when the child was 8.

At the time, Flores was a seminarian assigned to a West Chicago parish and had become friends with the boy's family, who were church members, according to authorities.

Among the new charges are predatory criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual abuse, indecent solicitation of a child, and attempted aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

Friday's court appearance drew three members of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests. The women, wearing buttons that said "Children First," said they were there as a show of support to the alleged victims and their family.

Flores remained in custody Friday in the Kane County Jail in lieu of $1 million bail.

-- Clifford War


Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
www.snapnetwork.org
<% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %>