The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
SNAP Press Statement
For immediate release: Wednesday, April 21, 2010
New child-abuse charge against priest; SNAP responds
Statement by Therese Albrecht, SNAP Spokesperson (708-263-3050)
We're sorry to learn that this predator likely hurt another child, but are grateful for the new charges. Hopefully he'll be locked up for a long time so others will not be injured.
We encourage anyone who saw suspected or suffered clergy sex crimes and covers ups to come forward, get help, call the police, expose wrong doers, protect others and start healing.
We call on the bishop to personally visit every church where this predator worked and beg those with information about his crimes to call law enforcement.
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world's oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We've been around for 22 years and have more than 9,000 members across the globe. Despite the word "priest" in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
Contacts: David Clohessy (314 566 9790 cell, 314 645 5915 home), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747), Mark Serrano (703-727-4940), Peter Isely (414-429-7259), Barbara Dorris (314 503 0003)
New child-abuse charge against priest
April 21, 2010 12:11 PM
Kane County prosecutors filed additional charges against a Catholic priest previously accused of child abuse, saying he attempted to sexually abuse the older brother of his first alleged victim.
A grand jury indicted the Rev. Alejandro Flores on nine new counts, State's Atty. John Barsanti announced today. The indictment includes additional counts involving the first alleged victim.
The charges include predatory criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual abuse, indecent solicitation of a child and attempted aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
Flores, 37, already stands accused of seven felony counts that allege he molested a St. Charles boy from 2005--when the boy was 8--to this year. The abuse took place while Flores, who is a Bolivian citizen, was a seminarian assigned to a West Chicago church, and had become friendly with the boy's family, who were parishioners, authorities say.
The new counts allege that Flores made sexual advances at the boy's older brother, prosecutors said.
Following his ordination in 2009, Flores was assigned to a south suburban church. In January, just before his arrest, he attempted to kill himself by jumping from the balcony of a shuttered church in Joliet.
He was hospitalized for several days and was taken into custody following his release from the hospital. He is currently being held at the Kane County Jail in lieu of $1 million bail. Last month, a judge rejected a motion to reduce Flores' bail.
Flores' attorney, Glenn Sowa, said at the March hearing that the Joliet archdiocese was willing to pay to have Flores attend a Maryland treatment center for religious workers with psychological issues. It was in arguing against the reduced bond that prosecutors first brought up the allegations involving the victim's older brother.
Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests