The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
SNAP Press Statement
For immediate release: Thursday, March 18, 2010
Priest accused of assaulting St. Charles boy denied bond reduction; SNAP responds
Statement by Barbara Blaine of Chicago, president and founder of SNAP, Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (312-399-4747)
We're grateful that it won't be easier for this accused predator to leave jail. Kids are safest when credibly accused predators are locked up.
We can't assume, however, that Flores will be convicted. It's crucial that others with information about him call law enforcement. Predator priests often get top notch lawyers and exploit technicalities and walk free. So other victims and witnesses must find the courage to speak up now.
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around since 1988 and have more than 9,000 members across the country. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
Contact David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, 314-645-5915 home), Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747), Peter Isely (414-429-7259), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688 home, 314-503-0003 cell)
Priest accused of assaulting St. Charles boy denied bond reduction
By Josh Stockinger | Daily Herald Staff
A Kane County judge refused to reduce bond Thursday for a priest accused of sexually assaulting a St. Charles boy.
The Rev. Alejandro Flores, 37, of Shorewood, had asked Judge T. Jordan Gallagher to reduce his $1 million bond so the priest could be released from the county jail and receive psychological treatment at a facility in Maryland.
The judge had been expected to rule Wednesday, but the hearing was postponed after Flores collapsed in the courtroom.
Flores has no family in the United States nor is a citizen.
"I'm not saying he's a flight risk," Gallagher said, though the judge said he had concerns about those factors.
The judge said he might consider the idea of bond reduction in the future.
Flores has been in custody since January, when he was charged with seven felonies accusing him of sexually preying on a St. Charles boy over five years, beginning when the child was 8.
His next court date is April 8.
Check back at dailyherald.com for updates
Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests