% unless FeatureFlag.disable_quantcast? %> <% end %>
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
SNAP Press Statement
For immediate release: Thursday, February 18, 2010
Accused predator priest gets another ‘move;’ SNAP responds
Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, national director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 566 9790 cell, 314 645 5915 home)
Often, predator priests get expensive lawyers and repeatedly exploit every legal maneuver and delay, hoping that eventually the victims and prosecutors will get worn down. We hope that's not what's happening here.
For the sake of justice and the safety of kids, this case should move quickly. We hope everyone involved cooperates so that the full truth can be revealed sooner, rather than later.
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the nation’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We’ve been around for 17 years and have more than 9,000 members across the country. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)
Contact David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, 314-645-5915 home), Peter Isely (414-429-7259) Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747)
Priest gets another new judge, date
St. Charles, IL — Alejandro Flores, the Catholic priest accused of molesting a St. Charles boy over a period of five years, has been moved to a new judge yet again after a hearing on Thursday at the Kane County Judicial Center.
After being moved to Associate Judge Allen Anderson at his previous court date, Flores’ case will now be overseen by Associate Judge T. Jordan Gallagher. His next hearing date will be March 11.
Flores, 37, of the 600 block of Brook Forest Avenue in Shorewood, has been charged with one count of predatory criminal sexual assault, which could carry up to 30 years in jail; two counts of sexual assault, which could carry up to 15 years in jail; and four counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, which each carry up to seven years in jail.
Authorities said between Jan. 1, 2005 and Jan. 1, 2010, Flores, a member of the Diocese of Joliet, had sexual contact with a St. Charles boy, now 13, who is his godson.
A warrant for Flores' arrest was issued Jan. 15. Flores, who had attempted suicide by jumping off the 20-foot balcony of a Joliet church earlier that month, was picked up from the hospital by Joliet police and transferred to the Kane County Sheriff's Department Jan. 20.
Bree said while Flores was in the hospital, he told a fellow Diocese of Joliet priest about an incident in which he went over to the victim's family's house, and was served tequila by the victim's mother. Flores told the priest he passed out, and woke up in the middle of a sex act with the victim, prosecutors said.
Flores was a seminarian assigned to St. Mary's Parish in West Chicago. He later was assigned to Holy Family Parish in Shorewood, and ordained a priest last summer.
Flores, a native of Bolivia, has his bail set at $1 million and is being held in the Kane County.
If convicted, he faces up to 67 years in jail.
Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests