SNAP
Statement



BACK TO:


Roster of Statements



 

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests

SNAP Press Statement

For immediate release: Thursday, April 9, 2009

Upon information that former priest Mark Campobello, who was convicted of abusing two teenaged girls (1999 and 2001), has been returned to jail

Statement by Barbara Blaine of Chicago, national president of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (312-399-4747)

It is good news for the children in Illinois that Campobello is back in prison. At least while he is there we know he won't be able to abuse any more children. Reporting sexual abuse is one of the most painful and stressful things anyone can do - but it can bring about life-changing consequences for others who will be protected from being abused by the same predator. We applaud the courageous victims who reported being abused by Campobello. Now more than ever anyone with information who saw, suspect or experienced abuse by Campobello is encouraged to pick up the phone and report it to the police.

(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the nation’s oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims. We've been around since 1988 and have more than 9,000 members across the country. Despite the word “priest” in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers. Our website is SNAPnetwork.org)

Contact David Clohessy (314-566-9790 cell, 314-645-5915 home), Peter Isely (414-429-7259) Barbara Blaine (312-399-4747), Barbara Dorris (314-862-7688), Mary Grant (626-419-2930), Mark Serrano (703-727-4940)


http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/stcharlessun/news/1519643,priest-prison-aurora_AU040909.article

Ex-priest sent back to prison

Campobello back to prison on parole violation

April 9, 2009

By MATT HANLEY mhanley@scn1.com

Former Aurora and Geneva priest Mark Campobello is back in prison for another technical parole violation.

Campobello was brought to Stateville prison in Joliet Wednesday, according to Illinois Department of Corrections spokesman Derrick Schnapp.

Campobello, who had been living in McHenry County, had to move out of his house. Schnapp could not say why Campobello lost the home, but not having a permanent residence is a parole violation.

"Obviously, when you're on parole you have to have an approved residence," Schnapp said.

Schnapp said Campobello was not charged with a new offense.

Campobello was imprisoned for three years and eight months after he pleaded guilty in 2004 to sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl between January and May 1999 while he lived at the rectory of St. Peter Church in Geneva.

He also pleaded guilty to molesting a 15-year-old girl while she was a student at Aurora Central Catholic High School between November 1999 and March 2000, while he served as assistant principal at the school.

When Campobello was released on Feb. 13, 2008, he was scheduled to be on parole for four years and had to register as a sex offender. He was expelled from the priesthood by the Vatican in 2005 while he was in prison.

In April 2008, he was re-imprisoned, again on a technical parole violation.

Campobello had a certain route he had to follow to go to work from his home. Campobello stopped to get gas, for a cup of coffee and a haircut. After a review by the Prison Review Board, he was released in July 2008.

The Rockford Diocese last year issued an apology to the two female victims of Campobello, who are now adults, and settled a lawsuit brought by the two women for $2.2 million.

Campobello will have to have his case heard by the review board, which will determine whether he should be re-released or serve the rest of his sentence.


Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
www.snapnetwork.org