Regarding Release of Abuse Docements by
Los Angeles Archdiocese
Octonber 12, 2005
Statement by SNAP member Matt Severson
(victim of Fr. Michael Baker)
Here are a few facts about these watered down, sanitized, documents
- "An appellate court ordered the documents released last month."
- "They are summaries of the church's personnel files with much information
deleted, including . . many details about the alleged conduct."
- "They do not include names of church officials who were warned
about the priests but failed to notify authorities and parishioners. .
- "Church officials have vigorously opposed efforts to make the full
personnel files public."
- "Files were not kept on all accused priests. ."
So it's crucial that Catholics see this as what it is - a begrudging,
belated, partial disclosure. It's a small step forward, taken only because
a judge ordered this information released.
And even this piecemeal material is only surfacing now because of courageous
victims, persistent attorneys and wise judges, over the vigorous objections
of Cardinal Mahony and his high priced defense lawyers.
(NOTE: The first quote is from the Associated Press. The others are from
today's LA Times.)
For more information:
Mary Grant of Long Beach, SNAP Western Regional Director (626) 419-2930
David Clohessy of St. Louis SNAP National Director (314) 566-9790 cell
of those Abused by Priests www.snapnetwork.org