SNAP
Press
Release



BACK TO:


Roster of Press Releases



 

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests

SNAP Press Release

Abuse victims beg Cardinal for help

George must act, SNAP says, in new priest case

Alleged child molesting cleric again sues an accuser

Controversial cleric still heads a suburban church today

SNAP to George: “Only you can persuade his flock he’s guilty”

A year ago, archdiocese paid victim $1.4 million but stays silent now

Support group to Winfield congregation: “Let us come & talk with you”

SNAP wants archdiocese to post incriminating documents about priest on its website

What
As parishioners leave mass, clergy sex abuse victims and their supporters will hand out fliers that urge Chicago archdiocesan staff, for the safety of kids, to
-- publicly warn area church-goers about a predator priest who is suing his victim, and
-- permanently post the pedophile’s records on the archdiocesan website.

They will also urge
-- the predator’s congregation to let them come and speak to the church, and
-- anyone who saw, suspected or suffered the clerics’ crimes to call police and get help.

When
Sunday, Jan. 31 at 11:45 a.m.

Where
Outside Holy Name Cathedral, 735 N State Street, between Superior and Chicago Streets

Who
A few clergy sex abuse victims and their supporters who belong to a support group called SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAPnetwork.org)

Why
Late Friday, Fr. Chester (Czeslaw) J. Przybylo filed a civil lawsuit against one of his victims, that victim’s attorneys and SNAP, claiming he had been slandered.

But in Dec. 2008, the Chicago archdiocese paid that victim nearly $1.4 million for the child sex abuse he suffered at Przybylo’s hands. SNAP contends that’s because church officials saw ample evidence that Przbylo was guilty and that his crimes had been concealed by church staff. Now, because Przybylo is still working in a church and professing his alleged “innocence,” SNAP wants Cardinal George to warn others about him and put on the archdiocesan website dozens of pages of church records that show Przybylo’s wrong-doing.

While Przybylo has a legal right to sue his accuser, SNAP believes that Cardinal George has a moral duty to “protect his flock, clear the air, and remove all doubts” by publicly admitting Przybylo’s guilt.

According to the victim’s 2006 lawsuit against Przybylo and the archdiocese, Przybylo repeatedly molested boy (from age 13 on) from roughly 1987 through 1992 at Five Holy Martyrs, an archdiocesan parish in Chicago (4327 South Richmond Street, 773 254 3636), and other locations in the metro area.

Przybylo is now pastor at the Shrine of Christ the King in Winfield, IL (http://shrineofchristtheking.org/, 630 690 3520). It's not affiliated with the Chicago archdiocese or the Joliet diocese.

The victim says he reported his abuse to Auxiliary Bishop Alfred Abramowicz of the Chicago Archdiocese. Abramowicz reportedly had heard, and believed, an earlier account of Przybylo's alleged crimes, but told the boy he was lying and should go to confession.

Przybylo was ordained in Poland and also worked in New York, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

His name does not appear among several dozen known molesters the Chicago archdiocese released by Cardinal George under pressure several years ago. SNAP questions why Pryzbylo's name is not listed.

Przybylo is represented by Chicago lawyer Walter Maksym (312 218 4475). His victim is represented by Minnesota attorney Jeff Anderson (612 817 8665 cell) and Chicago attorney Marc Pearlman (773 368 0142.)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/ct-met-priest-lawsuit-0131-20100129,0,5864837.story

Contact
Barbara Blaine-SNAP President 312 399 4747
David Clohessy-SNAP National Director 314 566 9790
Therese Albrecht-SNAP Chicago Spokesperson 708 263 3050


Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
www.snapnetwork.org