News Story of the Day
Howard Thompson, June 6, 2018, RochesterFirst.com
ROCHESTER, NY (WROC) - An attorney claims eight Diocese of Rochester priest are responsible for sexual abuse against children.
Of the eight priests, accusations against three of them were already public knowledge: Father Eugene Emo, Father David P. Simon, and Father Francis H. Vogt.
During a Wednesday news conference, attorney Mitchell Garabedian, who says he is representing victims in the case, named the other five priests who face accusations of sexual abuse. He says 17 victims have come forward.
By Ivey DeJesus, June 6, 2018, PennLive
A Pennsylvania judge on Tuesday denied a request from individuals named in a grand jury investigation report into child sex crimes across Catholic dioceses seeking to amend the report or bar its publication.
Unsealed court documents obtained by PennLive from the state Office of Attorney General indicate that unidentified individuals or entities named but not indicted in the investigation report sought to have evidentiary hearings prior to the release of the report. The individuals argued that "the reputation interest of the non-indicted named persons will be harmed by the release of the report."
Falicia Woody, June 4, 2018, WTRF.com
(WTRF) - It's been over a week since the Diocese of Steubenville removed retired priest, Monsignor Mark Froehlich after allegations of sexual abuse were deemed "credible".
But "Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests" or SNAP officials and alleged victims are now claiming the Diocese knew about the complaint since January.
There is a active investigation ongoing with the Belmont County Sheriffs Office regarding the issue, but according to SNAP, they want to see more being done.
Judy Jones, the SNAP Midwest Associate Leader, is standing alongside one of the alleged victims that came forward, Amanda Dutton. "The victim reported it way back in January. What took them so long?" says Jones.
By Associated Press, June 1, 2018, The New York Times
MORRISTOWN, N.J. — A Catholic order in New Jersey has settled lawsuits with five men who claim they were sexually abused by monks and a headmaster at a private school.
The Order of St. Benedict of New Jersey settled with the men who said they were abused while attending the Delbarton School in Morris Township, The Record reported Friday. Six other lawsuits are pending against the order that name faculty at Delbarton and St. Mary's Abbey, which runs the school. Details of the settlements were not disclosed.
By Jacey Fortin, May 31, 2018, New York Times
In one of the biggest settlements of its kind, the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis plans to establish a $210 million trust fund for hundreds of victims of clergy sexual abuse, the archbishop announced on Thursday.
The plan is the result of a yearslong battle and arduous negotiations in one of the country’s most high-profile cases involving abuse in the Roman Catholic Church.
If approved, the settlement will be the largest ever for a sex abuse case involving an archdiocese that has filed for bankruptcy protection and the second largest over all, said Terry McKiernan, co-director and president of BishopAccountability.org, which tracks clergy sex abuse cases. (According to the website, the largest settlement, $660 million, was reached by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and 508 survivors in 2007.)
ST. LOUIS • A Roman Catholic priest twice accused of misconduct involving children will no longer be assigned to a new St. Louis parish after an outpouring of concern from parents, officials with the Archdiocese of St. Louis announced Wednesday.
The Rev. Xiu Hui “Joseph” Jiang had recently been appointed associate pastor of St. Gabriel the Archangel Parish, which is in the St. Louis Hills neighborhood and includes a K-8 school.
The priest was previously charged with statutory sodomy in St. Louis and child endangerment in a Lincoln County case, but charges in both were dropped several years ago. Jiang denied the allegations, and a jury sided with him last year in a civil suit tied to the Lincoln County case.
By, May 27, 2018, The Buffalo News
When a mother complained that the Rev. Norbert F. Orsolits propositioned her teenage son in a bar, the Diocese of Buffalo quietly sent him away for mental health therapy and listed him as "on leave" in its official 1979 directory.
Then, within months, the diocese reassigned him to a new parish, where he later was accused of molesting at least two boys.
Orsolits isn't the only Buffalo priest accused of sexual abusing children who had been marked as "on leave" and then put back into a parish.
By Ivey DeJesus, May 29, 2018, PennLive
In the mid-2000s, when then-Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham launched an investigation into clergy sex abuse and cover-up in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, she was assailed for waging a campaign against the Roman Catholic Church.
It was a virtual repeat of what had played out just a few years prior in 2002 in Boston. That year, officials at the Archdiocese of Boston accused The Boston Globe of mounting an anti-Catholic agenda after the paper published a series of scathing reports detailing decades of molestation of thousands of children by priests and its systemic cover up by church officials.
WTRF.com, May 28, 2018
The Diocese of Steubenville has received what it considers to be credible allegations of sexual abuse against retired diocesan priest Msgr. Mark J. Froehlich.
Due to the allegations, he has been removed from active ministry.
The "Chapter for the Protection of Children and Young People," which are special laws approved by the Holy Father to deal with child abuse, are handling the case.
By Ivey DeJesus, May 23, 2018, PennLive
He has been here before; several times. Each time he has come close to achieving his goal.
Now Pennsylvania's most recognizable advocate for victims of child sexual abuse says the time has come to once and for all reform the law so that all victims can seek legal recourse.
State Rep. Mark Rozzi, a Berks County Democrat, on Wednesday laid out a case as to why his legislative agenda to reform the statute of limitations may finally make it all the way to the governor's desk.
Join us at the 2019 SNAP National Conference!
The annual SNAP National Conference is your opportunity to connect with other survivors and advocates from around the country for a weekend of learning, healing and fun. This year's conference will be held from July 26-28 at the Westin Alexandria Hotel. Don't wait! Register for the conference today and be sure reserve your room at the Westin using our special discounted rate!
Stay tuned for more details included keynotes, workshop highlights, and more.Register Today