News Story of the Day

15 years after Boston investigation, still work to do with clergy abuse

By Danae King, The Columbus Dispatch, May 22, 2017

Fifteen years after an investigation exposed widespread child sexual abuse in the Roman Catholic church, critics say little has changed.

The Columbus Diocese, however, says it put measures in place to prevent abuse and believes they’ve made a difference.

Though the investigation done by the Spotlight investigative reporting team at The Boston Globe and published in 2002 surely raised awareness about clergy sexual abuse, it didn’t seem to reverberate in Columbus as it did in other dioceses, even others in Ohio.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Urgent plea to Irish adoptees and "home children" in US to tell their stories

Were you born in a Mother and Baby Home, a County Home or similar place in Ireland?

Or are you a relative of an adopted person from Ireland? Or did you once work for an institution or agency involved with unmarried mothers and their children there?

The Adoption Rights Alliance and the Justice for Magdalenes Research group launched Clann in 2016 to gather the data and submit a group report to the ongoing Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes and Certain Related Matters in Ireland.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Lawsuit: Film raised memories of sexual abuse by Albuquerque priests

By Uriel J. Garcia, The New Mexican, May 19, 2017

A lawsuit filed in April against the Archdiocese of Santa Fe says a 2015 film about widespread child sexual abuse by Catholic clergy in the Boston area triggered a New Mexico's man's childhood memories of being sexually abused by two priests at an Albuquerque church.

Attorneys representing the man, identified as John Doe 66, filed the suit Thursday in the 2nd Judicial District Court in Albuquerque. It also names the Church of Ascension Parish in Albuquerque's South Valley as a defendant.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

7 Victims Name Priests Who Sexually Abused Them as Children

Seven men who were abused as children by priests of the Archdiocese of New York revealed on Thursday some of the details of the settlements they had received through the archdiocese’s new sexual abuse survivor compensation fund.

Since October, more than 100 victims have settled their sex abuse cases with the archdiocese by taking their claims to the Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program. But very few details have been revealed because the program keeps the cases confidential, and no victims have yet spoken out.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Catholic Archbishop Philip Wilson seeks to have charge of hiding child sex abuse thrown out

By Karl Hoerr, May 18, 2017, ABC News Australia

Lawyers for Catholic Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson, accused of concealing child sex abuse in the Maitland-Newcastle diocese, have fronted court again for their third attempt to stop the case against him from going ahead.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Trial Mines How Victims Process Trauma

By Christopher Peak, May 16, 2017, New Haven Independent

Hartford — During the three years when Eliyahu Mirlis claimed Rabbi Daniel Greer sexually molested him, why didn’t Mirlis try to stop it?

Read more
1 reaction Share

Child Abuse Bill Becomes Law In Oklahoma, Amendment Sparks Controversy

By Jessi Mitchell, News 9, May 16, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin signed a bill into law last week, giving child sex abuse victims longer to come forward, but critics say an amendment to the bill may actually be detrimental to some of the victims.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Priest who came to Ireland in 1990s linked to nun's murder in new Netflix documentary The Keepers

By Aoife Kelly, May 15 2017, Independent.ie

A priest who moved to Ireland from the US in the mid 1990s has been linked to the murder of a nun in Netflix's new documentary The Keepers.

The seven part series, which debuts on the streaming site on Friday, examines the unsolved murder of Catholic nun Sister Cathy Cesnik, in Baltimore in 1969.

Nobody has ever been charged despite a lead emerging in the 1990s when one of her former students at Keough High School came forward to claim she was sexually abused by the high school's chaplain Father Joseph Maskell.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Pope acknowledges 2,000-case backlog in sex abuse cases

Associated Press, May 13, 2017, BreakingNews.ie

The Vatican has a 2,000-case backlog in processing clerical sex abuse cases, and criticism of the slow pace is justified, Pope Francis has said.

But he said Saturday that more staff were being added and insisted the Vatican is "on the right path".

Francis was making his first comments about the criticism levelled at the Vatican's handling of sex abuse cases by Marie Collins, an Irish abuse survivor who resigned from Francis' sex abuse advisory commission in March.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Archdiocese bankruptcy reorganization plan rejected by sex-abuse survivors

By TAD VEZNER | tvezner@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press  May 11, 2017

Read more
Add your reaction Share