News Story of the Day

Tipton County pastor faces 47 charges for alleged underage sex crimes

By Luke Jones, March 7, 2018, News Channel 3

ATOKA, Tenn. – A Tipton County pastor was booked into jail Tuesday afternoon, one day after a grand jury indicted him on 47 charges related to sexually abusing minors.


Did Some Nuns, Teachers Know Of Child Sex Abuse In Baltimore Catholic Schools?

By Denise Koch, March 5, 2018, CBS Baltimore

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — For some time now, WJZ has been investigating a dirty secret: child sex abuse at the hands of priests, police and a teacher back in the 1960s and 1970s. Many asked how it was possible that no one noticed.


The rapist of 13-year-old at church camp got no prison time. Now, thousands want the judge removed.

By Meagan Flynn, March 5, 2018, Washington Post

Benjamin Lawrence Petty was a cook at the church camp where a 13-year-old girl reported that he tied her up and raped her.


Retired priest admits to sexually abusing boys

By WGRZ, February 28, 2018

BUFFALO, NY - A retired priest from Western New York has admitted to The Buffalo News that he sexually abused dozens of boys.

Reverend Norbert Orsolits told the paper the sexual encounters with teenage boys occurred during the 1970s and '80s. 


Survivors, politicians propose sexual abuse reporting laws in Michigan

By Dan Murphy, February 26, 2018, ESPN

LANSING, Mich. -- The women who spoke up to help put convicted sexual predator Larry Nassar in prison are speaking again, this time in support of changes to Michigan laws that would make it easier to hold his enablers and future would-be abusers accountable.


N.J. priest reassigned after sex abuse allegations surface from time as Staten Island teacher in 1980s

By Paul Liotta, February 26, 2018, SILive

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A New Jersey priest, who worked in Staten Island schools for more than 20 years as a layman, was put on a leave of absence Sunday after sexual abuse allegations connected to his time in the borough surfaced.


South Korea church apologizes for abuse

By Agence France-Presse, February 25, 2018, Hurriyet Daily News

South Korea’s Catholic church on Feb. 25 apologized to a woman who accused a priest of sexual abuse and attempted rape during a trip to a mission in South Sudan.

Kim Min-Kyung took the rare step of appearing on television news last week to accuse the priest of sexually abusing her during their trip to the country in 2011.

Kim, a volunteer who helped build a school and medical clinics in South Sudan, said the priest repeatedly tried to rape her, at one point breaking into her room at night. “He pinned me down so that I couldn’t move and said ‘I can’t control my body anymore. Please understand me,’” Kim told KBS TV station, saying she managed to flee the room.


Six Oregon men file suit against Albany First Assembly church for sex abuse

Feb 24, 2018

Six Oregon men filed a lawsuit Friday against the Albany First Assembly church, and the state and national organizations that operate the church, for sexual abuse they say they suffered as children in the 1980s, according to the Portland law firm representing the plaintiffs.

The lawsuit alleges that the church and its governing organizations failed to investigate and forward to police reports that a youth leader in the church had sexually abused a boy. Two leaders of a church youth program were later criminally convicted for sexually abusing several boys.


Rabbi skips town after charges laid for multiple sex offences: Winnipeg police

By Kristin Annable, CBC News, Feb 20, 2018

A warrant for Rabbi Yacov Simmonds's arrest was issued in October

A rabbi well known in Winnipeg's Jewish community has been on the lam since October after being charged with sexual assault, sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching, CBC News has learned.

Police believe that Rabbi Yacov Simmonds, 42, has been hiding out somewhere in the United States after a warrant was issued for his arrest on three counts of sexual assault, three counts of sexual interference and two counts of invitation to sexual touching.


Former papal adviser says Francis needs to make sex abuse a priority

By Claire Giangravè, February 22, 2018, Crux

ROME - A former member of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors has charged that Pope Francis is not making the fight against sexual abuse a priority, and expressed her frustration with the procedures and limitations of the group, which she said led her to hand in her resignation last year.


SNAP Network is a GuideStar Silver Participant