News Story of the Day

Diocese launches compensation fund for clergy abuse victims

October 6, 2017, News 12 Long Island

ROCKVILLE CENTRE -

The Diocese of Rockville Centre is launching a fund to compensate victims of sex abuse by clergy.

The Diocese sent a letter to victims notifying them of the settlement program. It's called the Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program.

Victims who accept settlement money must waive their right to bring their cases to court.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Ex-Maspeth priest molested girls: lawyer

By Christopher Barca, Associate Editor, October 5, 2017, The Queens Chronicle

More than a dozen women have come forward in recent weeks to accuse a former Maspeth priest of molesting them as children decades ago.

Prominent attorney Mitchell Garabedian told the Chronicle in a Tuesday interview that 15 women claim that former Holy Cross Church pastor the Rev. Adam Prochaski sexually abused them at some point between 1973 and 1994.

“Father Prochaski was sexually abusing innocent children for more than two decades,” Garabedian said. “My clients are very courageous for coming forward.”

Read more
Add your reaction Share

The Most Offensive Street Name in Dallas

By Tim Rogers, D Magazine

A newcomer to town wouldn’t give it a second thought. Off West Jefferson Boulevard, in southwest Dallas, between Dallas National Golf Club and Cockrell Hill, there’s a small working-class subdivision called Santa Clara. The entry road is called Via Bishop Grahmann. What could possibly be remarkable about that?

Read more
2 reactions Share

JEHOVAH’S WITNESS SEXUAL ABUSE CLASS ACTION

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Toronto
October 2, 2017

Jehovah’s Witness Sexual Abuse Class Action Toronto law firm McPhadden Samac Tuovi Haté LLP announced today that it had commenced a class action in Ontario against 3 Jehovah’s Witness organizations, one in Canada and two in the United States. 
The amount claimed on behalf of the former students is the sum of $66,000,000. 


The case has been brought on behalf of current and former Jehovah’s Witnesses who claim they were sexually assaulted by Elders of the organization. There is also a class of claimants composed of those who allege that when they were children they were sexually assaulted by adult Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Longtime Native Health Staffer Out After Sex Abuse Allegations Surface

By  | OCTOBER 2, 2017, Phoenix New Times

Dennis Huff, the longtime head of behavioral health services at Native Health of Phoenix — which primarily serves the urban Native American community — has left the organization amid allegations of sexual abuse of students at St. Catherine's Indian School in Santa Fe during the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Rushville church at center of child sexual abuse allegations

September 29, 2017, WISHTV.com

RUSHVILLE, Ind. (WISH) — Neighbors are responding after learning about allegations of child sexual abuse at a church in Rushville.

Police executed a search warrant last week at Rushville Baptist Temple Church at 1335 North Spencer Street as part of their investigation.

Police said they are looking into allegations of child molestation and began looking into the church several weeks ago after a woman told them her young daughter was a victim.

During the course of their investigation, police said another woman came forward and said the same thing happened to her as a young girl nearly 30 years ago.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

SIN CITY: Alleged Perv Priest Holed Up in Vatican Now Wanted in Two Countries

ROME—Monsignor Carlo Capella, a 50-year-old priest and diplomat in the Vatican’s foreign service, allegedly uploaded child pornography from a church in Windsor, Canada, last Christmas, according to a new arrest warrant issued by Canadian authorities. The cleric currently is wanted for accessing child pornography, possessing child pornography and distributing child pornography––but he won’t face the secular charges any time soon because he is safely inside the fortified walls of Vatican City in Rome.

Capella is reported to be the same priest who was secretly swooped back to Rome last August when American authorities wanted his immunity lifted on similar charges. The Vatican will not confirm or deny his identity and would not comment on the Canadian arrest warrant, which does name the suspect. But in September, the Holy See did say it was disciplining the errant unnamed priest in house.

Read more
1 reaction Share

Police capture ex-priest who fled while serving sex abuse sentence

By Crux Staff, September 30, 2017, CRUX

An ex-Catholic priest serving a 14-year sentence for sexual abuse of seven minors in Rome, and who had been given permission to receive treatment for a health condition in a nearby clinic, surreptitiously left last week and hailed a taxi, escaping detection. On Thursday, police caught up to him in Milan’s San Raffaele hospital and placed him in custody. Now, he'll have to serve the remaining 11 years behind bars.

 

ROME - A former priest in Italy sentenced to 14 years in prison in 2013 for sexual abuse of seven minors was captured by police in Milan late Thursday, three days after escaping from a clinic in the hills on the outskirts of Rome where he had been taken for treatment.

According to police reports, Ruggero Conti, 64, had been serving his term under conditions of house arrest, and had been given permission to move to the clinic in the castelli, the hills surrounding Lake Albano outside Rome that also contain the papal summer residence of Castelgandolfo, to be treated for an undisclosed health condition.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

PRIEST ACCUSED OF PORN | 'It's shocking'

By Shelley Orman, September 28, 2017, FOX5NEWS

BEL AIR, Md. (WBFF) - Neighbors in Harford County are still reeling after shocking and disturbing child pornography charges are filed against a former priest.

Fernando Cristancho is charged with creating and possessing child porn.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Several priests in prison for child sex abuse still being paid by Louisville Catholic church

By Gil Corse, September 27, 2017, WDRB.com

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- They stand convicted of committing terrible sins, but pedophile priests are still being paid by the Catholic church in Louisville.

"I think it's absurd," Michael Norris said. "I just don't understand it." 

Norris is one of Fr. Joseph Hemmerle's victims, molested at age 11 at camp Tall Trees in Meade County in the 1970's.

"This man is who I was thought is an extension of God," Norris said. "That's what the Catholic church taught me. And here's God doing this to me. It really messes with your spirituality."

Read more
1 reaction Share