News Story of the Day

Vatican removes Guam archbishop accused of abuse

Read more
1 reaction Share

Second Saginaw Diocese priest suspended amid sexual abuse probe

SAGINAW, MI -- Another longtime priest in the Catholic Diocese of Saginaw has been suspended amid sexual abuse allegations, according to a statement from the diocese.

The Rev. Ronald J. Dombrowski, 72, was recently suspended as a "precautionary measure" after a person told the diocese on Thursday, March 15, that Dombrowski allegedly sexually abused them when they were a minor, according to the statement.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Buffalo diocese forced out priest, hid abuse allegations from public

By Charlie Specht, March 16, 2018, WKBW I-Team

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - - A longtime priest in the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo was forced out of service and put on “medical leave” in 2002 after allegations of child sexual abuse came to light, the 7 Eyewitness News I-Team has learned.

Until now, the Rev. Donald W. Becker has never been named publicly as an alleged child sex abuser even though victims have come forward with stories of abuse and the reverend has long had a poor reputation among some diocesan priests. 

Read more
Add your reaction Share

AP: Families feel deserted after sex assaults at base school

By REESE DUNKLIN and JUSTIN PRITCHARD, AP News, March 15, 2018

The three military fathers sat at the commander’s conference table on the U.S. Army base in Germany, pleading for help.

They told the commander that their daughters were among a half-dozen girls sexually assaulted by a boy in their first-grade class at the base school. The principal had known about the boy’s behavior for months, they said, but the abuse continued.

The girls’ parents had already turned to Army police, military child-abuse authorities and sex-assault specialists. The response throughout the U.S. military’s vast support structure was always the same, they said: Sorry this has happened; there’s nothing we can do.

Read more
1 reaction Share

Authorities investigating 20 to 30 sexual abuse complaints against Saginaw church officials

By Terry Camp, March 12, 2018, ABC 12

SAGINAW (WJRT) (3/12/2018) - Sexual abuse allegations in the Catholic Diocese of Saginaw may extend beyond the Rev. Robert DeLand.

Read more
1 reaction Share

AP: Child-on-child sex assault cases languish on US bases

By Justin Pritchard and Reese Dunklin, March 14, 2018, ABC News

A decade after the Pentagon began confronting rape in the ranks, the U.S. military frequently fails to protect or provide justice to the children of service members when they are sexually assaulted by other children on base, an Associated Press investigation has found.

Read more
Add your reaction Share

THE END OF INNOCENCE--Not Everyone Is Celebrating Five Years of Pope Francis

By BARBIE LATZA NADEAU, 03.13.18, Daily Beast

On the fifth anniversary of his election, Pope Francis continues to be an inspiration to non-Catholics—and a source of confusion to his own flock.

ROME—It has been five years since white smoke billowed from the Sistine Chapel chimney to herald the election of a pope like no other.

Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the first pontiff from the Americas and a maverick among the more stoic men of the church, set the tone for his reign with the two simple words he uttered from the central balcony of St. Peter’s Basilica. “Buona sera,” or “good evening,” he said, quite simply, rather than greeting the gathered crowds with a theological tidbit of Godly wisdom. It seemed, at the time, endearing and innocuous.

Read more
1 reaction Share

Buffalo diocese ponders whether to reveal names of abusive priests

By  March 11, 2018, Buffalo News

Bishop Richard J. Malone is reconsidering a longstanding Catholic Diocese of Buffalo policy that withholds the names of priests who have been accused of sexual abuse.

Publicizing the names of clergy alleged to have molested children would reverse a tradition that's been in place for more than 15 years.

"We're looking at it anew," Malone said following his recent announcement that the diocese has established a new fund to compensate victims of clergy sex abuse.

Read more
1 reaction Share

CHILD SEX ABUSE INVESTIGATORS MAY PROBE THE JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES

BY RYAN SIT,  3/8/18, Newsweek

Updated | Independent investigators in the United Kingdom are weighing whether to launch a new investigation into the Jehovah’s Witnesses in the U.K. after receiving a “considerable number” of abuse allegations.

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, or IICSA, a government-sanctioned investigative panel in England and Wales, told Newsweek that it had gotten a “considerable number” of reports from both the public and elected officials about the Jehovah’s Witnesses in the U.K. A spokesperson told the newspaper the panel would “consider calls for a Jehovah’s Witnesses–specific investigation carefully.” 

Read more
Add your reaction Share

Salem pastor resigns after church investigates claims of sexual misconduct by him, 3 others

Lauren Hernandez and Capi Lynn, Statesman Journal, March 8, 2018

Warning: Some of the testimonies found in this story contain graphic details that some may find triggering or disturbing.

"Sexual immorality" was the reason cited when longtime Pastor Ken Engelking resigned in January from Morning Star Community Church in Salem.

Four women had come forward the previous spring with allegations against Engelking, two other former church staff members and a member of an affiliated church.

Read more
1 reaction Share