NC - Alleged predator priest, now in NC, gets “off the hook"
Local Catholic bishops should do “outreach,” victims say
Accused in 2 states, they fear he may have hurt kids here too
A jury awarded one of his victims $4 million but cleric has paid little
For immediate release: Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013
For more information: David Clohessy of St. Louis, Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 566 9790, SNAPclohessy@aol.com)
A credibly accused predator priest who allegedly molested kids in two states now apparently lives in North Carolina. And victims’ group is urging North Carolina Catholic officials to warn parents, parishioners and the public about him and “aggressively” seek out anyone there who may have be hurt by him.
A child sex abuse lawsuit against Fr. Raymond P. Melville, who allegedly assaulted kids in Maine and Maryland, was tossed out last week the Maine Supreme Court. Leaders of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, are asking the Catholic bishops of Raleigh and Charlotte to use church bulletins, pulpit announcements and parish websites to alert North Carolinians about Fr. Melville’s presence here.
Internet sources suggest that Fr. Melville now lives in Elkin.
“For the sake of public safety, Bishop Michael Francis Burbidge of Raleigh and Bishop Peter Joseph Jugis of Charlotte should use their considerable resources to warn families about this dangerous cleric,” said David Clohessy, SNAP’s director. “Catholic officials should not help predators by keeping silent about their crimes and sending them to other places or letting them quietly move to other places after they’ve been credibly accused of hurting kids.”
Charles Bailey of SNAP Raleigh (RaleighSNAP@gmail.com, 919-665-0883) says he doubts that Fr. Melville is working in a church right now, especially because, according to media accounts, he reportedly “left the priesthood.”
“But we see no evidence that Fr. Melville has been defrocked, so it’s possible he’s still calling himself a priest, using that title to gain access to unsuspecting families and being paid by Catholic officials,” said Bailey.
“And regardless of whether he’s working or retired, any reasonable person would assume he’s still dangerous,” Clohessy stressed. “He might have babysat for relatives last night, be tutoring elementary school kids this morning, giving private chess or music lessons to middle school kids this afternoon.”
A Maine jury, in 2008, awarded $4 million to one of Fr. Melville’s victims, William Picher.
In Maine, Fr. Melville worked at several parishes including one in Augusta.
In Maryland, Fr. Melville worked at two places in Maryland: Our Lady of Good Counsel parish in Locust Point (1980 to 1984) and the University of Maryland Hospital (1982 to 1983). He attended the University of Baltimore and St. Mary's Seminary (1979 to 1985).
Fr. Melville is accused of abusing in both states.
“We hope anyone who saw suspected or suffered Fr. Melville’s crimes – in Maryland or Maine or North Carolina – will find the courage to call police, expose wrongdoing, protect kids, deter cover ups and start healing,” said Neal Evans, another North Carolina SNAP leader (firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-299-3972).
The attorney who represents Fr. Melville’s victim is Sumner Lipman of Augusta, Maine.
According to one news account, Fr. Melville also once lived in Oklahoma.
A photo of Fr. Melville is available at BishopAccountability.org.
Join us at the 2019 SNAP National Conference!
The annual SNAP National Conference is your opportunity to connect with other survivors and advocates from around the country for a weekend of learning, healing and fun. This year's conference will be held from July 26-28 at the Westin Alexandria Hotel. Don't wait! Register for the conference today and be sure reserve your room at the Westin using our special discounted rate!
Stay tuned for more details included keynotes, workshop highlights, and more.Register Today