MO - SNAP presses for further action from outspoken KC priests
The New York Times reports that roughly half of the Kansas City diocese's priests have no confidence in Bishop Robert Finn. Sadly those sentiments, unless backed by action, won't change a thing.
Kansas City priests must find courage and take action if ever their diocese is to become safer and healthier. Privately expressing disapproval of a criminal behavior won't get the job done.
A decade ago, some 50+ Boston priests publicly rebuked Cardinal Bernard Law seeking his resignation. They won.
The church is a feudal hierarchy. Bishops hold virtually all of the power. Priests, like lay people, are essentially serfs, so they are understandably reluctant to challenge bishops, even one who is a proven lawbreaker. (Bishops have clearly retaliated against brave whistleblowers, basically shunning them and transferring them to small, remote parishes for decades.)
Still, sometimes conscience and decency demands that we put the safety and well-being of others - especially children – above our own selfish desires. Now is that time in Kansas City.
We call on KC priests to
- band together for support and strength,
- publicly declare their disapproval of Finn's recklessness, callousness and deceit,
- stand up in their parishes this Sunday, begging every single person who saw, suspected or suffered clergy sex crimes and cover ups to contact police,
- share what they know and suspect about crimes and cover ups with law enforcement, and
- do everything they can to save their diocese, and its children, not save their own clerical careers.
Join us at the 2019 SNAP National Conference!
The annual SNAP National Conference is your opportunity to connect with other survivors and advocates from around the country for a weekend of learning, healing and fun. This year's conference will be held from July 26-28 at the Westin Alexandria Hotel. Don't wait! Register for the conference today and be sure reserve your room at the Westin using our special discounted rate!
Stay tuned for more details included keynotes, workshop highlights, and more.Register Today