For immediate release: Wednesday, Aug. 19
Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 566 9790, firstname.lastname@example.org)
If an Oregon Catholic priest wanted by the law has fled overseas, we suspect his church supervisors told or encouraged him to do so.
We’re saddened but not surprised by the news that Father Ysrael Bien of Sherwood may have left the country. Over the past 26 years, we’ve seen dozens or hundreds of cases like this in which accused sex offender priests have left the US, escaping law enforcement, while their Catholic colleagues and supervisors claim to be “shocked.”
For immediate release: Friday, Aug. 14
Statement by SNAP leader Bill McAlary (616-514-0654, email@example.com), who was abused as a child by Fr. Stanislaus A. Bur, who worked in parishes in Grand Rapids, Beal City, Hastings, Traverse City, Muskegon, Ionia, Maple City, Beal City, Kinde, Pinnebog and Beaver).
Grand Rapids Catholic officials apparently kept silent about child sex abuse reports against a priest. They apparently kept silent when while supposedly “investigating” those reports. They apparently kept silent when they deemed those reports credible. They apparently kept silent when they quietly sent the case to the Vatican. And only now, likely years later, are Grand Rapids Catholic officials finally disclosing that he’s a child molester, while providing virtually no helpful information that might protect other vulnerable kids Shame on them.
By David Clohessy, director of SNAP (firstname.lastname@example.org, 314 566 9790 cell, 314 645 5915 home)
Francis has done more about the abuse crisis than his predecessors. Isn't that encouraging?
First, we should judge church officials NOT by what their terrible predecessors did but by what responsible officials would do. It's little comfort to a girl who's been raped under Francis to say "Well, under Benedict, there might have been an even smaller chance of your predator being ousted."
Neither Benedict nor Francis has exposed a single child molesting cleric or really punished a single complicit church official. They've made lots of reassuring talk but taken little meaningful action.
Creditors Committee in child sex abuse bankruptcy never agreed to key settlement terms announced by Milwaukee Archdiocese
Archdiocese secretly removed 80 victims from settlement after agreement
Chair says victims were “duped” in mediation
Time for an investigation by the Federal Bankruptcy Trustee and the Department of Justice
Statement by Peter Isely, SNAP Midwest Director
The Chair of the Creditors Committee of the Milwaukee Archdiocese’s nearly five year old child sex abuse bankruptcy is saying today that the committee can no longer support the settlement agreement unilaterally announced by Archbishop Jerome Listecki last week.
According to Charles Linneman, the Chair of the Creditors Committee, at least 80 victims were removed from the settlement without the committee’s knowledge.
For immediate release: Friday, Aug. 7
Statement by Barbara Dorris of St. Louis, Outreach Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 503 0003
“Openness and transparency.” That’s what Archbishop Robert Carlson keeps promising. But he keeps breaking this promise.