It’s important to remember that it never should have come to this. Had Catholic officials acted like decent human beings and reported child sex crimes – both known and suspected – to police and prosecutors, thousands of innocent kids would have been spared horrific abuse.
We applaud this brave man who has called police about an admitted child molesting cleric. It’s hard for victims to speak up, but that’s what it takes to safeguard kids, expose predators, and prevent crimes.
Our hearts go out to Fr. Robert’s alleged victims as they come forward with this lawsuit. We thank them for their courage – it is usually incredibly difficult for childhood victims to come forward even well into adulthood. Far too many people have experienced ongoing suffering like David Turrill's.
German Catholic priests should care more about protecting vulnerable kids than clerical reputations.
Even if the predators are deceased, the truth of their crimes should be exposed for the healing of their victims and the entire church.
- In March, bishop gave cleric permission to be near children
- His being with kids was no mistake, suit says, but Finn’s deliberate choice
- While supposedly “restricted,” cleric was on computer & travelling a lot
- Then, less than three months ago, troubled Catholic priest exploited another girl
- Self help group blasts diocese for not putting Ratigan in secure treatment facility
If Catholic officials had acted properly, this spring, Fr. Ratigan might have been in jail or would have been in a treatment center. In any case, at least one kid would have been spared being sexually exploited and victimized.
Statement by David Clohessy of St. Louis, Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (314 566 9790, SNAPclohessy@aol.com)
Shame on Davenport Bishop Martin Amos, and shame on diocesan public relations man David Montgomery. Their refusal to disclose where two potentially dangerous child molesting clerics live is stunningly reckless.
- One cleric defied Catholic hierarchy & helped victims.
- The other heads a parish that tangled with Archbishop Burke.