IL- SNAP flier to Cupich's new flock
While celebrating Cupich, remember children and help us protect them from predators
We're sorry to intrude on your Sunday morning here in Chicago, and the new archbishop's arrival, but we respectfully feel compelled to raise a few questions:
In Chicago, here are 139 publicly accused predator priests. (See BishopAccountability.org)
In Spokane, there are 39 publicly accused predator priests.
Do you think this is all of them?
Do you think every single one has been suspended?
Do you think all of them are being carefully monitored?
Do you think the full truth of their crimes has been exposed?
Do you think we know all we should about Catholic officials who concealed their crimes?
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Remain vigilant and skeptical, rather than trusting and complacent, (Complacency endangers kids.) Judge Archbishop Cupich by his deeds, not his words. Use the “search” box at BishopAccountability.org to learn about:
– Archbishop Cupich's troubling track record on the abuse & cover up crisis, and
– the 139 accused Chicago clerics at BishopAccountability.org. Ask your loved ones if any of them were hurt by any church staff (priests, nuns, seminarians, brothers, etc.)
WHAT THE NEW ARCHBISHOP CAN DO
– Insist that credibly accused predator priests (like Fr. Robert Stepek, Fr. Walter Turlo and Fr. Thomas Swade) be put in treatment centers away from kids.
– Suspend Fr. Michael O'Connell, personally visit his parish, and beg others who may have information about these troubling allegations to call police immediately.
– Prominently and permanently post the names of ALL Chicago area child molesting clerics (nuns, brothers, seminarians, priests, living or deceased) on the archdiocesan website, even those who belong to religious orders (like the Jesuits or the Marianists).
– Include their full work histories, photos and whereabouts.
– Explain why he hasn't done more to warn parents about and protect others from two credibly accused predator Washington priests - Fr. Brad Reynolds and Fr. William J. Vogel.
WANT MORE INFORMATION?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN!
50 State AG Call for Grand Jury
Any investigation must be:
- independent of and separate from the church
- must have subpoena powers and ability to compel testimony under oath
Anything short of these criteria is a sham and whitewash.
In addition, write letters to the editor, make phone calls to politicians as they can apply pressure to keep them responsive to our demand. We need to make efforts to ensure that they follow up on what the state is doing to investigate these crimes.
Note to Letter Writers
Use your own words and style of writing. Cut and paste from the templates as you wish. Include your experiences, whether as a survivor or as a member of the community. And relate your letter to the state you were abused in or state now living in.