Thank you to all who completed Act 22. This Act is now closed.
What: Rev. Jiang is filing a lawsuit just days after charges against him of sexual abusing a young boy have been dropped. Prosecutors had dropped the charges stating that, as the victim is very young, the statute of limitations allows them 35 more years to file charges, and that they are hopeful that charges will be refiled again in the future. Rev. Jiang had previously been charged of sexual abuse in 2012 by a teenage girl and her family who also attended the church.
Rev. Jiang is now filing a federal lawsuit against the St. Louis police, the parents of the child victim, and SNAP.
Why: Barbara Dorris of SNAP is calling the lawsuit “a desperate move to try to intimidate other victims, witnesses and whistle-blowers into keeping silent.” It is so important for us to come together as a community to stand with the victim and his family at this time. We must continue to expose and hold predators like Rev. Jiang accountable, and show him and other perpetrators that the community stands with survivors.
How to complete Act 22: Comment on the article Federal lawsuit filed by St. Louis priest
As you formulate your comment, consider these key points:
- Express support for the victim and his family
- Call attention to the perpetrator’s intent to silence victims and witnesses, and urge others to speak out about abuse
- Remark on the inaccuracy of this article’s title – Rev. Jiang was never actually "cleared" of charges
- Emphasize that holding Rev. Jiang accountable for his actions is the true measure of justice, and that in order to protect children and prevent further abuse, we must seek justice for all perpetrators of sexual abuse
When: Please take action by Friday, July 10.
Wait - you're not finished yet! Once you've completed the action, in order to get credit for this Act, you must do two things:
1) Check the box that says "I Completed Act 22."
2) Show the team what you did! Copy and paste your comment into the blue section below marked COMMENTS.
And let us know if you have questions - we're here to help! Email us at email@example.com with questions or concerns.
Remember – your voice counts! When we expose the lies, we stand up for victims and take power away from the abusers. When we all speak out together, we create a movement that the world cannot ignore.
So let’s SNAP into action!
SNAP Action Team