'No special treatment': Court confirms Cardinal George Pell will face justice next to bikies and murderers when he fights sex charges flanked by Australia's top defence lawyer
By SAM DUNCAN, DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA, July 14, 2017
- This means he could be rubbing shoulders with hardened criminals at court
- Normal security screenings will also apply to Australia's most powerful Catholic
- The news comes amid concerns for Cardinal Pell's safety due to large crowds
- Cardinal Pell will be represented by Robert Richter, former lawyer to Mick Gatto
The Vatican's third most powerful figure will receive no special treatment when he appears in court to face multiple historical sex charges.
There have been fears for the safety of Australia's most powerful Catholic at his court appearance on July 26, as sexual abuse survivors are expected to attend.
Melbourne Magistrates Court appears unconcerned, and stated that Cardinal George Pell's trial will be 'business as usual.'
The lack of special treatment also means that the former Archbishop of Sydney and Melbourne will be rubbing shoulders with hardened criminals as he lines up in court.
The potential exposure to . . .
50 State AG Call for Grand Jury
Any investigation must be:
- independent of and separate from the church
- must have subpoena powers and ability to compel testimony under oath
Anything short of these criteria is a sham and whitewash.
In addition, write letters to the editor, make phone calls to politicians as they can apply pressure to keep them responsive to our demand. We need to make efforts to ensure that they follow up on what the state is doing to investigate these crimes.
The Attorneys General of forty states have inquired about the grand jury process in Pennsylvania. Let's get statewide investigations going in fifty states.
Note to Letter Writers
Use your own words and style of writing. Cut and paste from the templates as you wish. Include your experiences, whether as a survivor or as a member of the community. And relate your letter to the state you were abused in or state now living in.